DDOS ATTACK on category page

Hi all. Last week i had been DDOS attacked. There was 3 million requests in 10 minutes on category pages. Of course server was down. They used ?items_per_page=96000 at the end of the link.

Any idea how to restrict using this? For example when they will try to access more than 48 - they will be redirected to main page or to main category.

THanks

Hello,

This check should and will be added for sure by default by CS-Cart team and meanwhile to prevent this you can simply use the hook “'get_products” to add the code:

$product_steps = fn_get_product_pagination_steps( Registry::get('settings.Appearance.columns_in_products_list'), Registry::get('settings.Appearance.products_per_page') );
        $max_items_per_page = max($product_steps);

if (!empty($params['limit'])) {
            $params['limit'] = (int) $params['limit'] > $max_items_per_page ? $max_items_per_page : $params['limit'];
        } elseif (!empty($params['items_per_page'])) {
            $params['items_per_page'] = (int) $params['items_per_page'] > $max_items_per_page ? $max_items_per_page : $params['items_per_page'];
        }

As example I will use the add-on “My Changes”

File: app/addons/my_changes/init.php

<?php

defined('BOOTSTRAP') or die('Access denied');

fn_register_hooks(
    'get_products'
);

File: app/addons/my_changes/func.php

function fn_my_changes_get_products( &$params, $fields, $sortings, $condition, $join, $sorting, $group_by, $lang_code, $having)
{
    if (AREA == 'C'){
        $product_steps = fn_get_product_pagination_steps( Registry::get('settings.Appearance.columns_in_products_list'), Registry::get('settings.Appearance.products_per_page') );
        $max_items_per_page = max($product_steps);

if (!empty($params['limit'])) {
            $params['limit'] = (int) $params['limit'] > $max_items_per_page ? $max_items_per_page : $params['limit'];
        } elseif (!empty($params['items_per_page'])) {
            $params['items_per_page'] = (int) $params['items_per_page'] > $max_items_per_page ? $max_items_per_page : $params['items_per_page'];
        }
    }
}

I hope the above is useful to you.

Updated: March 29, 2023

5 Likes

That’s a nice modification you have there! :slight_smile:

I want to offer an alternative in case someone ever wants to apply the limits to every entity that might be affected by the items_per_page parameter:

This one example will also use the My changes add-on.

File: app/addons/my_changes/init.php

<?php

if (!defined('BOOTSTRAP')) { die('Access denied'); }

fn_register_hooks(
    'before_dispatch'
);

File: app/addons/my_changes/func.php

<?php

use Tygh\Enum\SiteArea;

if (!defined('BOOTSTRAP')) { die('Access denied'); }

function fn_my_changes_before_dispatch()
{
    if (SiteArea::isStorefront(AREA)
        && isset($_REQUEST['items_per_page'])
        && (int) $_REQUEST['items_per_page']
    ) {
        if ($_REQUEST['items_per_page'] > 96) {
            $_REQUEST['items_per_page'] = 96;
        }
    } else {
        unset($_REQUEST['items_per_page']);
    }
}

This will limit the items per page to a maximum of 96 for all entities that can use this parameter.

6 Likes

I didnt’ realize one could go more than 96. Limiting it to no more than 96 should be default.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with you and have created the new feature request for the developers on this case.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for helping me. Awesome community.

1 Like