Custom Blocks for Each Category

I would be great if we can create custom blocks for each category.

Right now you can set a custom layout for each category.

Magento commerce has the ability to assign a skin and a template to each category.

It would be great to have a different look for each category.

You can create custom blocks and assign them to categories in Design->Blocks. By using a block type of HTML or Unique HTML, you have a fair amount of flexibility but nothing to match the versatility offered by Magento.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]You can create custom blocks and assign them to categories in Design->Blocks. By using a block type of HTML or Unique HTML, you have a fair amount of flexibility but nothing to match the versatility offered by Magento.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Can each category have their own custom block?

Or does the custom block apply to all categories?

I see the blocks tab under each category.

But clicking on the “manage custom blocks” just takes you to the blocks section.

Seems like a planned feature to have custom blocks for each category.

[quote name=‘hykit’]Can each category have their own custom block?

Or does the custom block apply to all categories?

I see the blocks tab under each category.

But clicking on the “manage custom blocks” just takes you to the blocks section.

Seems like a planned feature to have custom blocks for each category.[/QUOTE]

You can and just assign different content to the block.

But first of all, you have to creat the block first in Admin->Blocks. After that you will know how to assign different things to each category.

You need to first create the block(s) and enable it on the Blocks tab in Categories. If the block content is Unique HTML, then you can enter custom HTML code for each category. Likewise, you can assign content for products and other block objects in the Blocks tab in categories.

Bob

how does one go about creating a completely new, custom block?