CS-Cart Version 4.16.2 Released

Can we update Redactor2 editor to RedactorX, it looks smoother.

Can you tell me, from version 4.16.1 in the addons folder there is a Cities addon, but why is it not showing up in the cs-cart addon management panel to be able to install it? When it came out in 4.16.1 I thought the developer forgot or didn’t complete the cities addon so I didn’t install it, but in 4.16.2 it still can’t ?

Please find details here

https://docs.cs-cart.com/latest/developer_guide/addons/compatibility/adapting_4152_to_4161.html

3 Likes

Thank you, I did it the way is to go to the xml file of the addon, remove the line as the addon can show up in the control panel for installation.

1 Like

What is the “Recommended” php version?

I know 8.0 is “Supported”, but what version should we be using?

tks

It is always recommended to use the latest version possible, as it usually has security support and is usually faster than its predecessor. If there are no obstacles such as outdated third-party add-ons or themes, I can recommend using PHP 8.0.

2 Likes

Is there any reason the demo is using PHP 7.4 still? I assumed CSC didn’t think it was stable enough but I guess that’s not the case.

Changing the version of PHP at the demo requires rebuilding the current server architecture, its testing, and all this requires significant amount of time and human resources. So such a task is not a high priority for the near future.

A little off topic:
Do you know the credo of system administrators? It’s simple: “If it works, don’t touch it!” :smiley:

3 Likes

Can you please help me on how to only display the meta tag in the supplier’s micro shop page, I need to add some meta tags for vendors
Thanks.

Please check this thread:

“A little off topic:
Do you know the credo of system administrators? It’s simple: “If it works, don’t touch it!” :smiley:

Good quote!

Another quote from Nike:

“Just do it”

I like “just do it” - better…

I know it all too well but we say “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”.

2 Likes

If it’s eol, meh?

took me about 10 minutes to change over

I like all the quotes above. But the quotes “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” and “Just do it” aren’t really at odds here.

We are always “doing it”. The real question is what’s “it” at any given moment :slight_smile: So “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it” merely helps us set priorities. That’s why we’ve added PHP 8.1. support for CS-Cart itself, but aren’t immediately moving all our demos to it — the team responsible for it currently has more urgent tasks.

We are always “doing it”

I think there is a misunderstanding.

Just do it means that you can’t have an excuse that you have more important things to do - it means get up at 4am or work on the weekends or till late at night etc.

Just get it done…

It is how a large part of Silicon Valley works but not all companies - HP has a more relaxed style as an example.

When will cs-cart decouple the default theme so that 3rd party themes no longer have to load all the unnecessary css from the default theme ?

Loading the default theme CSS is not a hard requirement. A theme can declare some other theme as a “parent”. If so, it can fall back to the parent’s CSS and files when necessary. If a theme doesn’t have a parent, then it won’t use the data from any other theme.

Why do many custom themes have a parent? This approach allows to keep the theme compatible with all the new functionality and third-party add-ons. For example, if a custom add-on can work with the standard Responsive theme, it will work with the “children” of the Responsive theme as well.

What happens if a custom theme doesn’t have a parent? When CS-Cart adds new functionality, or you install a third-party add-on, you may need to adapt your theme for that add-on. To me, this approach seems better suited for bigger stores or marketplaces with their own dev teams.

i understand that, but now 3rd party widgets or themes they all write their own css and html code, they only make very little use of the default theme’s css classes (the parent theme) leading to the widgets This theme is useful and this theme spares some unused css, if it is imperative to use the parent theme’s css, the team can separate the shared css (the css on which the addons depend) and the css for the default theme, if cs-cart uses a 3rd party theme, the default theme’s own css code will be ignored, only loading the shared css that the default addons in cs-cart have to depend on belong to it?

1 Like

@ikoshkin when do you estimate will be release the next cs cart version after this one 4.16.2 it will be july 2023?

We’re releasing a public beta for version 4.17.1 as we speak. I’d expect a full release in a couple of weeks from now (late July or early August). The release will have a few extra updates, like USPS Ground Advantage (which has been brought up recently).