Credit card payments and currencies

Apologies if this is a FAQ but I can’t see the answer. I am considering switching from a different system to CS Cart. I wonder if someone could answer this query please. Trial shop set up with credit card payments and default site currency of GBP. Using localizations I have a USD locale and a EUR locale as well as a GBP one. OK so far.

On doing test sales for a USA address a test client get a price (e.g. $30.00) displayed correctly and converted to USD. OK so far. At payment the client pays in GBP (roughly £20.00) though, probably to their surprise as there is no warning of the currency switch, and even though we are perfectly capable of accepting payments via our payment gateway in USD as well as GBP. The conversion is right but I would rather the client was in their comfort zone and able to pay in USD or GBP according to locale.

I note the client can print a nice invoice priced in USD whereas on the backend admin can print an invoice for that same order but only in GBP.

So: is it possible to accept payments in other than the default currency, and how does one do it? It seems the situation is the same when using PayPal, so is solution for PayPl as well?

Many thanks

I don’t deal in multiple currencies, however, this thread might be useful to you:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16321[/url]

[quote name=‘Struck’]I don’t deal in multiple currencies, however, this thread might be useful to you:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16321[/url][/QUOTE]

Many thanks for this, it is certainly part of what is required.

There is now a PayPal Express currency chooser at [url]Search results which does help enormously but I should still like to be able to use my current gateway (SagePay) in multiple currencies.

[quote name=‘ch1mjw’]

So: is it possible to accept payments in other than the default currency, and how does one do it? It seems the situation is the same when using PayPal, so is solution for PayPal as well?

Many thanks[/QUOTE]

8 months on and it looks as though CS-Cart now does it as shown by page 63 in the cscart_212_community.pdf file. Thanks! I will experiment again with cs-cart (I’m hoping this means that my gateway, which will accept any of 3 currencies, will always use the currency selected by the client):

6.7. Currencies

This section contains a list of currencies that you use in the store. As a rule, multiple currencies are used to display prices on the storefront while payments are usually accepted in the store’s primary currency only. However, if your payment gateway is configured to accept payments in a different currency, customers using this gateway will be charged in the alternative (not primary) currency. And the order total will be calculated according to the store’s currency exchange rate that you define here.