Core File In Public Folder

Hi,

We have some files in our public_html folder that are kind of big and I was just wondering what they are, what the system uses them for but haven’t found anything on them. The files are named core.xxx where the xxx is a number ( like core.613…etc ). There are about 5 of them, one is 1gig another is close to that size and 3 or so are each 755,000KB. Does anyone know what these are or what they’re used for?

Thanks

They are not standard cs-cart files. Contact your developer(s) to see if they left “tailings” from a conversion or other development.

Thanks I will

They appear to be either updating or are auto creating cause the dates are from today ( one a few days ago)

Well, I would certainly do a few things:

1. check with your developer(s) as suggested before
  2. check your access logs and see who/what might be accessing them.
  3. check with your hosting provider and make sure it's not some part of their backup mechanism or something like that.

If 1 and 2 get you a “huh?” then 2 becomes critical. If you don't know who's accessing them then it is probably a malware intrusion and you will have your work cut out for you.

CORE files are usually created by the hosting service when the server crashes. That was happening to us when we had Dreamhost hosting. We use to just delete them

Here u can read about it

[url=“Core dump - Wikipedia”]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump[/url]

Yes, that's one way a file named core.nnn can be created (nnn refers to the process ID of the process that was terminated). That's why I suggested the OP check with their host who can identify what process is dumping core in the document_root (more than likely PHP) and find the cause and fix it. However, a maleware writer could easily use that name to try and hid themselves. That's why I suggested looking at the access files to see who might be accessing is (if anyone).

Thanks to all, I appreciate it !

[quote name=‘zeero6’ timestamp=‘1415918342’ post=‘196952’]

CORE files are usually created by the hosting service when the server crashes. That was happening to us when we had Dreamhost hosting. We use to just delete them

Here u can read about it

[url=“Core dump - Wikipedia”]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump[/url]

[/quote]

Thanks for that. Apparently, this was the link that I was looking for.