Clook Internet Services

So, I'm with ServInt.net right now. I think my server is in Dallas, are you saying that if I move my server to London, it would affect my SEO? What about moving it to Washington DC?

To be honest though, I didn't really think about the geographic location, I was just thinking company based.

Thanks,

Brandon

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1331874740' post='133233']

So, I'm with ServInt.net right now. I think my server is in Dallas, are you saying that if I move my server to London, it would affect my SEO?

[/quote]

Yes, it will regarding of your page ranking…

Read this: Impact on SEO by moving to another server in another country? | Web Hosting Talk

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1331874740' post='133233']

So, I'm with ServInt.net right now. I think my server is in Dallas, are you saying that if I move my server to London, it would affect my SEO? What about moving it to Washington DC?

To be honest though, I didn't really think about the geographic location, I was just thinking company based.

Thanks,

Brandon

[/quote]

Keeping a site closer to your audience is very important due to multiple factors.

A small list:

Latency (time it takes to send a request to the server)

Relevance (English for English speaking countries)

Page Speed (How quickly the server sends data after initial connection)

At the moment my website http://www.digital-aurora.com has a latency of <200ms, that means for every transaction that Australian customers have to access my website, it's 150ms slower than my competitors. Hence Google will give my competitors higher ranking for the purpose of relevance to the market (google.com.au), latency is higher than most websites (Source) and lastly, the page speed which will be slower than most due to multiple hops (14 from computer to server)

[quote]Ping statistics for 64.64.26.98:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 192ms, Maximum = 195ms, Average = 194ms[/quote]

[quote name='indy0077' timestamp='1331875256' post='133234']

Yes, it will regarding of your page ranking…

Read this: http://www.webhostin…588&postcount=3

[/quote]

Not entirely relevant as Google latest algorithm update factored in speed in 2011 whereas the post is from 2008

Regardless, review the latest SE update: Moz - Google Algorithm Update History

Wow, this is definitely something that is interesting to learn. I honestly had no idea that this would make a difference. Thanks for the link Indy and definitely thank you Jesse for putting so much detail into this, I definitely appreciate it.

Kind of one nice thing about this forum, always learning.

Brandon