Changing Site News to a Blog

I did this after v3 first came out. I wanted my customers to actually read what I was putting into the Site News. The phrase ‘site news’ was not inclusive enough for me, but the word ‘blog’ is a much bigger tent.

To my homepage, I added an HTML Block, as a header, above a News Block so the newest 4 news items show on the home page.

Administration > Languages > change language variables: ‘news’ and ‘site_news’ to ‘Blog’.

This effectively uses the Site News function built into CS-Cart as a simple blog - which can include posts about any subject, not just “site news”. It can be optionally searched, and comments can be posted to it.

Do you mind linking to your site so we can see it? Sounds like a great idea.

I've also done the same, but taken things a bit further.

The new site will have a “content writers” usergroup, and the 'articles' on the blog will be published as per Google's guidelines with the relevent markup. Set up with Google+, so all data will be syndicated between Google+ and the onsite 'Blog' with the intention of having articles published properly in Google, leading to more targetted traffic. As an example of what I mean, see here. Notice the two articles which draw the users attention?

[quote name=‘StellarBytes’ timestamp=‘1362080382’ post=‘156679’]

I’ve also done the same, but taken things a bit further.

The new site will have a “content writers” usergroup, and the ‘articles’ on the blog will be published as per Google’s guidelines with the relevent markup. Set up with Google+, so all data will be syndicated between Google+ and the onsite ‘Blog’ with the intention of having articles published properly in Google, leading to more targetted traffic. As an example of what I mean, see here. Notice the two articles which draw the users attention?

[/quote]

Nothing on that page draws my attention. You’ll have to help me. :-)

Hopefully this is a little clearer. If you didn't see it in the link in my last post, welcome to the World of geo-targetting. Ain't it a bitch.

[attachment=6526:cs-cart-news.PNG]

cs-cart-news.PNG

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1362080382' post='156679']

I've also done the same, but taken things a bit further.

The new site will have a “content writers” usergroup, and the 'articles' on the blog will be published as per Google's guidelines with the relevent markup. Set up with Google+, so all data will be syndicated between Google+ and the onsite 'Blog' with the intention of having articles published properly in Google, leading to more targetted traffic. As an example of what I mean, see here. Notice the two articles which draw the users attention?

[/quote]

Uber-sweet! I wish I knew enough about Google to be able to do this. I'm so far behind on SEO…

@kingsleypress. Everytime I post my domain on this forum, I get junk submitted to my Reviews and/or Testimonials from Russian IP addresses so I stopped including links to my domains.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1362082424' post='156682'] Hopefully this is a little clearer. If you didn't see it in the link in my last post, welcome to the World of geo-targetting. Ain't it a bitch. [attachment=6526:cs-cart-news.PNG] [/quote]

Impressive!!

I'll post more about it shortly…I know I've said that a lot lately but all these little projects are all pulling together quite nicely, then I'll be able to unleash the beast to y'all knowing it works the way it should.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1362132800' post='156712']

I'll post more about it shortly…I know I've said that a lot lately but all these little projects are all pulling together quite nicely, then I'll be able to unleash the beast to y'all knowing it works the way it should.

[/quote]

Looking forward to it. I'm trying to get a handle on the whole Google+ and markup for SEO thing.