Change from dull grey site to colourfull site

OK now that I have bought this cs cart, how do you change the drab gray site to a nice colourfull site without spending months learning to programe…

Same way you would with any web page, change the CSS.

/skins/basic/customer/styles.css and base.css

You would be best making a copy of the 'basic' folder, rename the copy to 'myskin' and edit the manifest.ini file inside 'myskin' folder to reflect the new skin name. Then add it to /var/skin_repository/ to install it.

Or purchase a ready-made skin and install it. Note: In this World, you get what you pay for.

True in both ways…you get what you pay for.

I have bought a skin for V3 but it does not show up at all when you choose the skin in admin.

The instructions are quite bad so cannot follow them.

So I dare say more money wasted.

Regards

[quote name='bertbrown' timestamp='1361829998' post='156384']

True in both ways…you get what you pay for.

I have bought a skin for V3 but it does not show up at all when you choose the skin in admin.

The instructions are quite bad so cannot follow them.

So I dare say more money wasted.

Regards

[/quote]

Which skin did you buy?

You will want to familiarize yourself with this KB article and any others that give examples of putting your CSS changes into your own style sheet: [url=“CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation”]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

Just curious… if one has a web editing program such as Dreamweaver, can the CSS be altered via more of a wysiwyg editor?

I take one look at typical CSS code and imagine my monitor melting before my eyes if i screw up a single character! :?

In other words, what do the pros use?

I only use a text editor (EditPlus) and Firefox with the Firebug plug-in for editing CSS.

And Photoshop.

Run the web page, view the class with Firebug, edit, upload, repeat.

[quote name=‘MFD’ timestamp=‘1361976673’ post=‘156513’]

Just curious… if one has a web editing program such as Dreamweaver, can the CSS be altered via more of a wysiwyg editor?

I take one look at typical CSS code and imagine my monitor melting before my eyes if i screw up a single character! :?

In other words, what do the pros use?

[/quote]

Before altering the file, save it down to your computer. If you F any of it up juut replace it with the copy of the file

Practice makes perfect

[quote name='Magpie Don' timestamp='1361984911' post='156524']

I only use a text editor (EditPlus) and Firefox with the Firebug plug-in for editing CSS.

And Photoshop.

Run the web page, view the class with Firebug, edit, upload, repeat.

[/quote]

I'm having difficulty finding the class for the menubar that goes across the top of the page (below the logo):

http://www.kingsleypress.com/

Anyone know what that is?

It's in dropdown.css - not in styles.css

Ah. Thanks!

I suggest you try using Mozilla Firefox to browse your store. The Firebug plugin for Firefox will identify CSS classes, the stylesheet name and it's location on the server. It also allows you to make edits to the style so you can see what the results will be prior to writing them to your CSS file. It's an essential CSS debugging tool for me.

[quote name='Magpie Don' timestamp='1361997804' post='156541']

I suggest you try using Mozilla Firefox to browse your store. The Firebug plugin for Firefox will identify CSS classes, the stylesheet name and it's location on the server. It also allows you to make edits to the style so you can see what the results will be prior to writing them to your CSS file. It's an essential CSS debugging tool for me.

I would not have been able to change the look of my store without it: www.rnt2.com

[/quote]

Agreed. I only use Notepad+, Firefox with Firebug and Photoshop for CS-Cart designs - but remember to be able to use the Firebug method quickly and efficiently, you'll need to disable join_css in config.local.php and remember to re-enable it once you're done making design changes. I notice the KingsleyPress site does have join_css set to true.

LOL - very true. I disabled joining the CSS. It created unexpected results with the my_changes stylesheet. CSS is apply the LAST value in your stylesheet - if you are overriding styles with your own sheet in my_changes, the joining doesn't always render the joined CSS file in the correct order all the time. It might only be caused by the CSS in addons, but I didn't bother to try to riddle it out.