Cent 4, vs Cent 5.Any Issues for CS Cart?

Cent 4, vs Cent 5.Any Issues for CS Cart?

I currently have a 4. version of Cent OS for Linux and am thinking of upgrading to the current 5. version I think 5.5.

Are there any concerns for CS cart 2. versions?

You will have no problems with version 5.5 and I recommend avoiding the version 4+ tree because its end of life is coming soon.

Your biggest concern should be with the control panel software (if any) you will be using and if that supports the OS release you choose… All major panels and virtual containers should now fully support CentOS 4.8 and 5.5 but, 4.9 and 5.6 will be released in the next few weeks and those will not be supported for some time…

CentOS 6.0 is in RC stage now so will also be coming very soon and that will start the countdown for the v4 tree life.

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]You will have no problems with version 5.5 and I recommend avoiding the version 4+ tree because its end of life is coming soon.

Your biggest concern should be with the control panel software (if any) you will be using and if that supports the OS release you choose… All major panels and virtual containers should now fully support CentOS 4.8 and 5.5 but, 4.9 and 5.6 will be released in the next few weeks and those will not be supported for some time…

CentOS 6.0 is in RC stage now so will also be coming very soon and that will start the countdown for the v4 tree life.[/quote]

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am using Cpanel 11.28.86 now will that work well with Cent 5.5?

Also: PHP 5.2.16 & Apache 2.2.17

Apache 2.2.17, PHP 5.2.17 and MySQL 5.1.56 should be ideal with cPanel.

You can probably install and run CS-Cart 2.1.4 with MySQL 5.5+ (still untested by me) but some older versions will not install or work properly.

The only obvious problem I can see that still exists in the 2.1.4 release is below.

Anyone wanting to install the Data feeds addon with MySQL 5.5+ will need to edit 2 lines in addons/data_feeds/addon.xml before it will install

Find these lines

```php Line 36 ) [COLOR=“DarkOrange”]TYPE=MyISAM[/COLOR] DEFAULT CHARSET UTF8;

Line 46 ) [COLOR=“DarkOrange”]TYPE=MyISAM[/COLOR] DEFAULT CHARSET UTF8; ```

change to

```php Line 36 ) [COLOR=“DarkOrange”]ENGINE=MyISAM[/COLOR] DEFAULT CHARSET UTF8;

Line 46 ) [COLOR=“DarkOrange”]ENGINE=MyISAM[/COLOR] DEFAULT CHARSET UTF8; ```

There may be other compatibility issues as well so I don’t recommend MySQL 5.5 yet.

I went with MYSQL 5.1 and all seems fine on my website with CS Cart running smoothly.

Is PHP 5.2.17 safer or much better than 5.2.16?

Thanks again!

That is the latest maintenance release for the 5.2 tree and it contains an important big fix that will affect some systems. Below is a test script you can run from shell to see if it will benefit your server.

Name this something.php and upload it to anywhere on your sever. Then from a shell prompt run; php /path/to/filename.php

If it says “Your system seems to be safe” then there is no need to update right now

```php /*
+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| PHP Version 5 |
| Copyright (c) 2011 The PHP Group |
| This source file is subject to version 3.01 of the PHP license, |
| that is bundled with this package in the file LICENSE, and is |
| available through the world-wide-web at the following url: |
| http://www.php.net/license/3_01.txt |
| If you did not receive a copy of the PHP license and are unable to |
| obtain it through the world-wide-web, please send a note to |
| license@php.net so we can mail you a copy immediately. |
| Author: Johannes Schlueter |
*/

if (PHP_SAPI != 'cli') {
die("Please run this test from CLI!\n");
}

ini_set('display_errors', 1);
ini_set('output_buffering', 0);
error_reporting(-1);
if (!ini_get('safe_mode')) {
set_time_limit(1);
}

echo "Testing float behaviour. If this script hangs or terminates with an error ".
"message due to maximum execution time limit being reached, you should ".
"update your PHP installation asap!\n";
echo "For more information refer to .\n";
$d = (double)"2.2250738585072011e-308";
echo "Your system seems to be safe.\n";
?> ```

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]That is the latest maintenance release for the 5.2 tree and it contains an important big fix that will affect some systems. Below is a test script you can run from shell to see if it will benefit your server.

Name this something.php and upload it to anywhere on your sever. Then from a shell prompt run; php /path/to/filename.php

If it says “Your system seems to be safe” then there is no need to update right now[/quote]

Sounds good I will test.

Although if there is no danger that this version will cause problems for CS Cart then I might as well upgrade…