Category - Product related edits

I think it would be a good idea if you could affect all the products in a category in some way.

For example for those in the UK the new postage prices and options are a nightmare to deal with. One item weighing as little as 100 grams that used to go normal mail for less then £1.00 will cost now cost £3.00 ! this is because the thickness of the item is over 2.5 cm.

I don’t have the time to price shipping on size and weight even if I could in cs-cart but what I could do is add £2.00 to each other items. I can do that using the “freight” option in shipping for each product. But as this is the same for every product in this category it would be nice to do it at that level wouldn’t it ?

I’n sure the are other option that could be set at category level.

Yeah, the recent Royal mail changes were a pain for us too.

Admin>product>categories>select all products in 1 category

Export all those products “Product code” & Shipping freight"

Add £2.00, bring them all back in, 5 minute job

Thanks

john

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1368202368' post='161604']

Yeah, the recent Royal mail changes were a pain for us too.

Admin>product>categories>select all products in 1 category

Export all those products “Product code” & Shipping freight"

Add £2.00, bring them all back in, 5 minute job

Thanks

john

[/quote]

Well should have been a 5 min job but had to do it 5 times to get it right - one of those days.

Problem with it is if someone buys a lot from that category in one order the postage gets a bit much but it works from most people I find.

[quote name='kickoff3pm' timestamp='1368214569' post='161612']

Well should have been a 5 min job but had to do it 5 times to get it right - one of those days.

Problem with it is if someone buys a lot from that category in one order the postage gets a bit much but it works from most people I find.

[/quote]

Yeah, you could set a promotion where as if qty of product from category “cup final programmes” or what ever = greater than 5, free shipping, or percentage discount of shipping. Maybe this would help

John

What I did when I first approached this was to use weight options - I think I set the products that would incur the additional charges at 2lb (all my products had 0 weight properties before this).

I mass selected the products that I knew would incur the additional RM post charges and editted them setting them to 2lb weight, then I created a new shipping method where if the weight of the order was >1.99lb the post charge was base +£2 this way they only get charged once as additional 2lb items do not add £2 each and every time a customer adds another item.

Obviously this only works if you are not already using weight based shipping.

Since then I have set my shipping at a flat UK rate of £1.99 I am trialling it and sucking up the extra post charges on larger items but as I send about 3/1 large letters to packets it evens itself out in the end and is so much less confusing for the customer as I have a banner now stating £1.99 flat rate UK p&p so they know exactly what they will be paying at checkout.

Mark

[quote name='Ralkan' timestamp='1368461853' post='161714']

What I did when I first approached this was to use weight options - I think I set the products that would incur the additional charges at 2lb (all my products had 0 weight properties before this).

I mass selected the products that I knew would incur the additional RM post charges and editted them setting them to 2lb weight, then I created a new shipping method where if the weight of the order was >1.99lb the post charge was base +£2 this way they only get charged once as additional 2lb items do not add £2 each and every time a customer adds another item.

Obviously this only works if you are not already using weight based shipping.

Since then I have set my shipping at a flat UK rate of £1.99 I am trialling it and sucking up the extra post charges on larger items but as I send about 3/1 large letters to packets it evens itself out in the end and is so much less confusing for the customer as I have a banner now stating £1.99 flat rate UK p&p so they know exactly what they will be paying at checkout.

Mark

[/quote]

Well I have ti use weight so that won't work for me sorry. I can see a point where I'll have use fixed postage per item but I like to give my customer the credit of having the sense to see the more they buy the more expensive it is for them. As it is using weight saves them money and as a lot of my customers also use ebay it means I have this advantage - on ebay people tend to bump up the postage rates.

At the moment I don't know how big a problem it is, I'm lucky as I have high profit margins so won't make a lost if I have to eat the extra postage. But sooner or later it will it the bottom line.