Can't get webmaster tools to verify site

Hi,

I am seeing a lot about Google webmaster tools in the forum and am trying to set it up for my site. I can’t seem to get Google to verify the site.

I get the message " we weren’t able to verify your site"

I tried two methods.

1. link to Goggle Analytics - This did not work, however, Google Analyitics has been reporting on the site for over a year and is currently receiving data from the site.

2. html method. I uploaded the file to the public html folder. I was able to click on the link in webmaster tools and the page opens in a browser, but still get the message, can’t verify.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks,

Bob

[quote name=‘pbannette’]Hi,

I am seeing a lot about Google webmaster tools in the forum and am trying to set it up for my site. I can’t seem to get Google to verify the site.

I get the message " we weren’t able to verify your site"

I tried two methods.

1. link to Goggle Analytics - This did not work, however, Google Analyitics has been reporting on the site for over a year and is currently receiving data from the site.

2. html method. I uploaded the file to the public html folder. I was able to click on the link in webmaster tools and the page opens in a browser, but still get the message, can’t verify.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks,

Bob[/quote]

make sure you use the file upload, and ensure that you have the correct www or non www url listed in google analytics/webmaster tools

Thanks,

I used ftp to put the html google file into the public html folder. I click on the link within Google webmaster, and the file opens.

My site does not have www, but it will work. I submitted the site without www. the same that is registered in Google Analytics.

I thought thought the link method would work, because Google Analytics works and it is associated with my account. For some reason it can’t verify it.

Bob

Adding the line of code to the meta.tpl works fine for me.

Hi,

I did get it to work. The problem was that since I was already using ftp for other files, I used ftp to add the google file to the public html folder. This was incorrect. This process seems to have added some header information to the google file.

I then used cPanel to upload the same Google file to the same directory and then it worked.

I know know that uploading via cPanel is not the same as uploading via ftp.

Bob

Hi I am in a very similar situation as “pbannette”. I tried to verify my site via my Google analytic account because I’m getting data from it every day so i assumed it would work right away, but I’m getting no where?

I’m not sure how “pbannette” uploaded a file? Did you do this via CS Cart?

Is there a way I can use CS Cart to access my home pages header tag so I can just add the script? Thanks so much