Canadian postal code on checkout page

Today I received an email from customer saying that on the “checkout as guest” page where he entered his Canadain postal code, the cart kept complainting about the postal code was wrong. I took a look and it turns out that when Canadian enters their postal code, they have to put a space in between, now that’s really annoying. For example, a postal code “V6X7H7” will not be allowed and instead customer has to chage it to “V6X 7H7”. Can this be avoided and just let customers enter without space?

I too would like to be able to fix this issue.

Is there not a spot in the code where it can specify the format:

Letter/Number/LetterNumber/Letter/Number - i.e. A1A2B2

Thanks,

WUAP :???:

Hi everybody, I notified by customer today too and I lost a sale just because of this issue. is there anybody has this problem. Thank you.

Thank you,

Hello,

Thank you for your messages.

Some code modifications are required to implement this feature. We would be happy to assist you in this matter within our technical support service. Please contact us via Customer Help Desk if you have support credits or an active support period.

Also I checked the addressing guidelines on the Canada Post website (http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGaddress-e.asp) and found the following information:

“Postal Codes should be printed in upper case with the first three elements separated from the last three by one space (no hyphens; if the Postal Code is not formatted in this manner, the mail may be delayed)”.

So it is recommended to use a space in a postal code

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

[quote name='CS-Cart Support team' timestamp='1318323676' post='123404']

Hello,

Thank you for your messages.

Some code modifications are required to implement this feature. We would be happy to assist you in this matter within our technical support service. Please contact us via Customer Help Desk if you have support credits or an active support period.

Also I checked the addressing guidelines on the Canada Post website (http://www.canadapos…PGaddress-e.asp) and found the following information:

“Postal Codes should be printed in upper case with the first three elements separated from the last three by one space (no hyphens; if the Postal Code is not formatted in this manner, the mail may be delayed)”.

So it is recommended to use a space in a postal code

Pavel Zyukin

CS-Cart Support team

[/quote]

I too have had problems with customers who don't put spaces in their postal codes and abandon orders or call us to complain that they can't put their orders in online. I reported this to CS a while back and got the similar response about code modifications.

Pavel is correct that Canada Post “prefers” the first 3 characters separated from the last 3 for clarity. This however is not mandatory and is an output formatting issue. The majority of regular consumers do not know about Canada Post's preference and that is where the problem is happening. Just like the US Postal service prefers the xxxxx-xxxx format for ZIP codes but 99.9% of consumers never use the last 4 digits. Why can't the input format be separated from the output? That would solve the problem I think. Let the customers input in without the space (and lowercase) and the printouts will have uppercase with the space between?

With v2.2.4 PRO the need to enter a space in the Canadian postal code was removed.