Can Realtime Shipping factor in Package Weight

I want to input the weights of my products so the Realtime shipping calculation can be used.

We want to add the weight of the package to every order. Currently I believe the weight being used for Realtime Shipping Calculation is based on the weight of the products. We need to add 0.4 LBS. to every order for package weight to accurately calculate shipping rates.

Can anyone help? :???:

Hi

Not sure about real time but we just a to the product for our shipping. It is constant if nothing else.

BarryH

I’d sure like to see them add tare weights to the shipping calculations. The problem with adding weight to each product is that you overstate the weight when mulitples are purchased.

Bob

[QUOTE]The problem with adding weight to each product is that you overstate the weight when mulitples are purchased.[/QUOTE]

This isn’t necessarily true for us at least, here is how we handle the tare situation:

Lets say you are selling 1 Lb widgets, and you know that you can get 25 of these widgets into a master carton. The master carton itself weighs 2 Lbs making the actual shipment weight 27 Lbs.

So, if you take 27 Lbs divided by 25 Widgets = 1.08 Lbs per Widget

Enter 1.08 Lbs as the product weight.

If our customer orders one widget, then UPS or FedEx will round up & calculate the shipment at 2 Lbs which is correct & accurate!

If our customer orders 25 widgets, then it is calculated as 25 pcs x 1.08 Lbs = 27 Lbs which again will be the accurate calculation for this shipment, good for us as well as our customer not be overcharged. This method has worked very well for us.

The one thing I would like to see in CS-Cart is the ability to determine a maximum carton weight setting for realtime shipping calculations! Then if using my above example, widget number 26-50 above would be calculated as carton number two of the shipment making my widget shipments even more accurate! :smiley:

The problem is that the weight for the first widget shipped is understated. It should be 1lb (widget)+2lbs (for the carton weight ) = 3lbs (total weight shipped).

I agree with the need for intelligent boxing based, at least, on weight. I say “at least” because I would like to see a mean of dealing with dimensional weight as well.

I can dream!

Bob

[QUOTE]The problem is that the weight for the first widget shipped is understated. It should be 1lb (widget)+2lbs (for the carton weight ) = 3lbs (total weight shipped).[/QUOTE]

No, we certainly wouldn’t use the same size carton to ship out a single widget that we would to ship out 25 widgets! Buy some different carton sizes…:wink:

[quote name=‘Stuck’]No, we certainly wouldn’t use the same size carton to ship out a single widget that we would to ship out 25 widgets! Buy some different carton sizes…;)[/QUOTE]

We do use different sized boxes since we ship small items all the way up to items which ship on pallets.

I guess I am just annoyed that there is not a better way since doing what you suggest for 9000 products is time-consuming. I realize that adding tare weight would lead to some arbitrary results as well but it would, at least, reduce the manual calculations.

More important is the boxing issue. If someone buys 20 items that total 180lbs (thus over UPS weight limits for a single box), those items could be shipped in multiple cartons. The software should take weight limits per box into consideration when shipping is calculated.

Bob

So is there a mod that exists that will allow us to specify the maximum number of POUNDS that can be shipped in one box. So if a customer orders 200 pounds of product it will be divided into 5 cartons of 40 lbs each to determine the exact shipping cost with UPS.

No, there is not a setting within CS-Cart, nor is there a mod currently available to do this.

I recently added this as a “Feature Request” within the CS-Cart bugtracker!

It could be beneficial for you to confirm your need for this through the bugtracker as well to show CS-Cart there are several users which absolutely need this!

PS: Having this ability to set a maximum carton weight on shipments would also eliminate the dreaded 150 Lb weight limit imposed on FedEx & UPS shipments!

I do the same thing that Struck does. I add the weight to the product so overall I don’t make any profit from shipping, but I cover my costs for the package, labeling, and supplies.

I have also look into adding an additonal amount on USPS real time. I tested it and it worked great (http://kb2.cs-cart.com/extra-cost-of-real-time-shipping-method). It is also in the PDF manual.

Adam