Blocks on news page

If a block is created in

Design → Blocks → News

and then enabled for any of the new pages it will not show up at all.

I tested this on a couple installs.

If a block is created on All Blocks and then enabled on the News page it shows up fine.

Can someone confirm?

In the process of troubleshooting the blocks by doing nothing but adding/removing blocks from the pages there were a few block glitches.

We moved the default Banner block from the rigth to the top on the New tab. Then we moved the Banner from the right to the top on the AllPages tab. We then went back to the news page and the Banner block was listed twice at the top. Duplicate block, if we edited one, it showed in the other. It stayed there if we toggled tabs. We then moved the Site News block to the top on the AllPages tab and went back to the News tab, the Banner was no longer duplicated. We moved the Banner back to the right bar first on the News tab then on the AllPages tab. Went back to the News tab and it was gone. Moved it around some more on the AllPages tab and it returned.

Then we went to the news page on the site and all the content was gone. We then noticed that in the process of moving all those tabs around, the Central Content block disappeared from the News page entirely.

Fortunately I found where that is stored the other day so I can fix it manually, but it’s kind of wacked. And blocks created on the News page still do not show up there. We also tried the Banner block on another page, but when we disabled it, it didn’t disappear. We ended up just deleting that banner block.

EDIT:

We also seem to get this odd error occasionally depending on where a block might be enabled:

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/unica/public_html/var/compiled/customerztest/%%E7^E7C^E7C04381%%small_items.tpl.php on line 31

Which is strange as it’s occurring on compiled pages. It’s not always that same file.

It’s working for me - block set up in Design->Blocks:News. Blocks appear on news page once they are enabled for that page.

The Blocks system still seems to have some gremlins. There are supposed to be improvements in 2.0.13. Hopefully this will make them more stable.

Bob

[quote name=‘phazei’]

We also seem to get this odd error occasionally depending on where a block might be enabled:

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/unica/public_html/var/compiled/customerztest/%%E7^E7C^E7C04381%%small_items.tpl.php on line 31

Which is strange as it’s occurring on compiled pages. It’s not always that same file.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if this is similar to bug post #1724:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=1724[/url]

The line number is different but it is in a different source TPL. You might want to try the patch to see if it resolves this issue for you.

Bob

I believe that did fix the error with the banners and blocks.

The particular one I posted turned out to be different though. We were switching between templates. Turns out the old version had a particular block that was set to products small items. The new one had it changed to html block. It was being caused by line 12 in small_items.tpl sending bad $images info to common_templates/image.tpl

This blog has a nice description of the cause of the error:

[url]http://informationideas.com/news/2006/06/14/fatal-error-cannot-use-string-offset-as-an-array-in/[/url]

Also, we got the blocks to show up sometimes on the Blocks page if we enable it, then move it to the right bar then back to the top. On the stock install I still can’t get it to show up at all. But if I move the default Banners block to the top it disappears, seems I can only get it back if I move it to the right bar, and even then it needs to be enabled/disabled again.