Beta release of the CS-Cart Professional edition v2.1.3

Sorry, I was being a smart ass.

Usually CS just dumps a load on us and we all complain about it not being fully tested and now when something is released as a beta for us to test we’re all just thrown off and nobody knows what to do.

Brandon

yes, it is progress… But if you really want someone to test something, it should be considered complete when you give it to them to test. I.e. all the features you plan to add are in there. Otherwise the testing effort is a waste of time.

I think the announcement was too focused on the one area they wanted some help in testing. Maybe saying something like:

2.1.3.beta is available for testing. It contains all defect corrections made to date as well as multi-package shipping. We are releasing this because we want a broader range of testing focused on the multi-package shipping. We will be adding Dimensional Weights and will make a beta2 available when that functionality is ready for beta test.

Of course if it was just a “build” of the multi-package shipping and does not contain other bugfixes, then it should be clearly stated as to what it does contain. If additional functionality is planned to be included in the final release, it should be identified so expectations can be set appropriately.

We are planning to release CS-Cart v2.1.3 Release Candidate in the beginning of January 2011.

So, this release will include all the changes:

• Bugfixes;
  • Multi-box shipping;
  • Perfomance optimization of product search and filtering;
  • Usability improvement of the inter-version upgrade script.

We released the beta version because the shipping functionality is realy a major one.

[quote name=‘imac’]We are planning to release CS-Cart v2.1.3 Release Candidate in the beginning of January 2011.

• Bugfixes;
  • Multi-box shipping;

We released the beta version because the shipping functionality is realy a major one.[/QUOTE]

We very much appreciate this beta release. A step in the right direction.

Stu

[quote name=‘imac’]We are planning to release CS-Cart v2.1.3 Release Candidate in the beginning of January 2011.

• Bugfixes;
  • Multi-box shipping;

We released the beta version because the shipping functionality is realy a major one.[/QUOTE]

This is definitely a step in the right direction and thank you for the improvements.

[QUOTE]Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Alexander Zinovyev,

CS-Cart Architect Team[/QUOTE]

To our friends at CS-Cart as well!

I am currently installing this on a test domain & will try to quickly provide some feedback regarding the shipping improvements.

Alright, my quick reply after approx. 6 hours of non-stop setup & testing is that I am quite impressed with the results right out of the gate, huge improvements & control over shipping configurations!

I was able to simulate UPS ground realtime shipment calculations with a combined cart weight in excess of 2,800 Lbs split into multiple cartons each weighing 65 Lbs each, very nice! I was also able to verify that both list rates as well as negotiated rates were being returned from UPS. I did notice some strange behavior while saving changes made in the individual shipping method settings, sometimes after clicking save some of the settings would no longer be displayed, not a major problem I am sure. I want to go through several more shipment simulations to see just how accurate the returned rates are as well as testing against USPS & Fedex before giving more feedback. Very nice work so far!

[quote name=‘Struck’]I am currently installing this on a test domain & will try to quickly provide some feedback regarding the shipping improvements.

[B]Alright, my quick reply after approx. 6 hours of non-stop setup & testing is that I am quite impressed with the results right out of the gate, huge improvements & control over shipping configurations!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much, Struck, for your help and the feedback! It sounds very promising to us :slight_smile:

[SIZE=“4”]The archive with the beta release was updated[/SIZE] (the link remains the same)

The following changes were included in the new package:

1. Optimized products selection and database queries.

We optimized a lot of queries and the related code.

Short overview (we used the default store with the default settings):

Number of queries reduced 4 times on the home page, in 2.5 times on the category page, and 1.5 times on the detailed product page.

In other words, all product selection operations are performed a way faster now.

2. UPS dimensional weight

UPS shipping packages are calculated based on the dimensional weight. For details, please read this document [url]Page Not Found | UPS - United States

I want to thank everybody who takes part in beta testing and thus helps us improve the final product!

Happy holidays!

The following language entries are missing under “Modify selected”:

_max_items_in_box

_min_items_in_box

[quote name=‘nmb’]The following language entries are missing under “Modify selected”:

_max_items_in_box

_min_items_in_box[/QUOTE]

Do you use the latest package of the beta version? If yes, please, try to clear the cache and the problem will be resolved.

Thank you!

This is a clean install of beta 3.

To reproduce,

• Select products under Catalog > Products
  • Select “Edit selected” from “Choose action”
  • Tick “Maximum items in box” and “Minimum items in box” checkboxes
  • Click “Modify selected” button
  • You will see the _MAX_ITEMS_IN_BOX and _MIN_ITEMS_IN_BOX language variables.

Let’s talk Priority Mail “Flat Rate Boxs” as the ability for businesses to utilize these is extremely beneficial in reducing shipping costs.

I also touched on this back in the initial shipping improvements thread:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=19736&highlight=flat+rate+box[/url]

As many are aware of, it is only the volume of the products (not the weight) which determines if a shipment can be contained in a “Flat Rate Box”, so, if the products can fit into these boxes (regardless of the wt.), then they can be be utilized.

We also know that performing volumetric calculations for each product & package sitewide would be an insane task, and would also be an insane task for store owners to enter all of the product dimensions for the products they carry, serious overkill! :wink:

My simple solution would be to add another selection within the new products “Shipping Properties” Tab and name it: (Can be Shipped in Flat Rate Box)

This could be taken a step further by adding another selection named: (How Many Can Be Contained in Flat Rate Box)

My reasoning for suggesting this is because certain individual products have dimensions which are too large to even consider the flat rate box option, even a quantity of one is not an option, so these products would be left unchecked.

These additional settings (although not as mathematically precise as volumetric calculations), would now allow far more businesses to utilize Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxs in their shipping methods without the fear of getting badly burnt on miscalculated shipping costs (& without all of the complexity of volumetric calculations)! (Nothing worse than calculating & charging for a flat rate box rate & then realizing that the items ordered won’t actually fit into the box!)

Shipping is very complicated. Starting in January, for USPS, there will be two new regional flat rate boxes, plus a padded envelope, flat rate.

Here is some info about the regional flat rate:

The introduction of Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes

* Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes offer attractive rates for local shipments of small, but heavy items.

* This new product will be available for Commercial Base and Commercial Plus customers. This product will not be available for retail customers. The boxes will be zone priced with two sizes: Regional Flat Rate Box A has a 15 pound weight limit and Regional Rate Box B has a 20 pound weight limit. If the box exceeds the maximum weight for the box (either 15 lbs. or 20 lbs.), customers will be charged the Priority Mail price, based on weight and zone.

* Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes are essentially zone priced and not based on weight (weight limits apply).

* Customers who take advantage of the Regional Rate must use USPS packaging. The Regional Rate Boxes are available from usps.com/shop or by calling 800-275-8777.

* There are two different shaped boxes, side loading and top loading for each of the two weighted categories. A total of four new boxes will be available.

o Dimensions for Regional Rate Box A are as follows:

Side Loading – 13 1/16" x 11 1/16" x 2 ½"

Top Loading – 10 1/8" x 7 1/8" x 5"

o Dimensions for Regional Rate Box B are as follows:

Side Loading – 16 1/4" x 14 1/2" x 3"

Top Loading – 12 1/4" x 10 1/2" x 5 1/2"

Here is a summary of the changes, if you have not seen them yet: [URL=“USPS News & Information | Endicia”]http://www.endicia.com/pricechange/[/URL]

Bob

[QUOTE]Shipping is very complicated. Starting in January, for USPS, there will be two new regional flat rate boxes, plus a padded envelope, flat rate.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no doubt!

My objective behind the flat rate box suggestions is to allow us to utilize as much as possible without being overly complex, as in still a vast improvement over what we have had to work with over the years, I am certain you will relate.

Between the latest USPS API now incorporated into this Beta version, along with my additional tweaks and perhaps a bit of weight restriction for flat rate box ship method settings (already a configurable option), I believe the majority would now have what is needed to utilize the flat rate boxes options on a much wider scale. The cost savings are immense to both business owners as well as the consumers!

Happy Holidays!

The ability to add a simple surcharge to each individual “Realtime shipping method” would also be extremely useful. Ideally this should be either a percentage or flat dollar amount figure to be added on top of the realtime rates being returned to the cart. This little feature would allow a CS-Cart user to really fine tune the realtime rate calculations displayed & there are a multitude of different scenarios where this would come in handy! :wink:

And don’t forget that the surcharge should be able to be a negative percentage or absolute value too.

Since you’re in there, this is a really easy thing to do. It should be editable for each method.

[QUOTE]And don’t forget that the surcharge should be able to be a negative percentage or absolute value too.[/QUOTE]

Very much agree

Sorry to keep adding, but another shipping issue that can easily be addressed while you’re in there is Residential/Commercial delivery.

One should be able to set the default for the method and then make this available as a selectable option in the shipping phase (estimation, checkout, etc.). This would be selected by the customer (and should be optionally enabled) or specified by the merchant (to avoid customers choosing commercial when they are residential to get the better rate).

At a minimum, the merchant should be able to specify which type of detination address to use for each method.

It’s an issue for UPS and FedEx, It may come into play for USPS for Saturday deliveries, I’m not sure.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Sorry to keep adding, but another shipping issue that can easily be addressed while you’re in there is Residential/Commercial delivery.

One should be able to set the default for the method and then make this available as a selectable option in the shipping phase (estimation, checkout, etc.). This would be selected by the customer (and should be optionally enabled) or specified by the merchant (to avoid customers choosing commercial when they are residential to get the better rate).

At a minimum, the merchant should be able to specify which type of detination address to use for each method.

It’s an issue for UPS and FedEx, It may come into play for USPS for Saturday deliveries, I’m not sure.[/QUOTE]

T,

The absolute best way to do this (and I am not sure if it is even possible yet), would be if the realtime rates called from UPS or Fedex could determine if the customer address was Residential, or Commercial and automatically return the correct rate based upon the actual address.

Otherwise, any other method can only be viewed as “The Honor System” relying completely on a customer to honestly choose accordingly. For the last few years I have offered a Ground-Commercial Address rate as well as a Ground-Residential Address rate and allowed customers the honor system to make the selection, the majority of our customers do honestly select the higher Residential Address rate when applicable, however, there will always be a few which will not…

The Residential vs. Commercial Address scenario is one of the main reasons why I suggested the ability to add a surcharge to each individual shipping method as this could also be effectively used as a way of tweaking a rate to handle this.

Regardless, I like your idea as well, so whatever we can get incorporated into CS-Cart the quickest is just fine with me!

UPDATE: Yes, it appears as if Residential/Commercial Address can be automatically determined during the realtime rates callback, here is the link to the UPS page mentioning this:

www.ups.com/content/us/en/bussol/browse/addressvalidationstreetlevel.html

[quote]

UPDATE: Yes, it appears as if Residential/Commercial Address can be automatically determined during the realtime rates callback, here is the link to the UPS page mentioning this:

[/quote]

Yes, but it’s a separate API. It could be called once if the address doesn’t change but should NOT be called for each request.

In lieu of this, I think adding a radio button for commercial/residential delivery on the method page would work in most cases.

Unfortunately UPS’s API’s are not very consistent nor can results of one be used to drive another. For example, the shipment codes returned from a time in transit API request can’t be used with the standard shipment quote request. Very annoying… But that’s a UPS issue.

[quote name=‘nmb’]This is a clean install of beta 3.

To reproduce,

• Select products under Catalog > Products
  • Select “Edit selected” from “Choose action”
  • Tick “Maximum items in box” and “Minimum items in box” checkboxes
  • Click “Modify selected” button
  • You will see the _MAX_ITEMS_IN_BOX and _MIN_ITEMS_IN_BOX language variables.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information. I have corrected this issue.