Best Way (For Seo) To Discontinue A Product?

For SEO purposes, what is the best way to discontinue a product? Just disable (or remove) it in the store backend and let the search engines figure it out?

Or do a 301 redirect so if someone clicks to it from a search engine they can be redirected to a similar product or an overall category of similar products?

Did not study this much, but you might want to check this

https://store.cart-power.com/discontinued-products.html

The SEO experts are recommending 301 redirect to the successor or similar product.

You can do it easy with this add-on,

and you can have the missing rich snippests missing from the built-in SEO add-on and many more.

redirecting to a product that is not what your customer is looking for isn't good, they bounce out from the redirected page thus harming the ranking of that page.

The jury is out on whether just to delete,as google loses billions of pages every day and manages quite well.

I just delete mine and see no detrimental effects.

I used to used to use cart powers pop up notification and set a pop up informing them it was discon and link to a new products, but now I just delete

redirecting to a product that is not what your customer is looking for isn't good, they bounce out from the redirected page thus harming the ranking of that page.

The jury is out on whether just to delete,as google loses billions of pages every day and manages quite well.

I just delete mine and see no detrimental effects.

I used to used to use cart powers pop up notification and set a pop up informing them it was discon and link to a new products, but now I just delete

Same here, delete and re generate, re upload google sitemap..