Best practice to push development site to live server

Wonder if there is a guide line on how to push development site to live server?

Thanks!

Tony

Hi

What I do is zip all files to a single file, backup db through phpmyadmin and then reverse.

Unzip in server, restore db through PhpMyAdmin. Important detail. Change the db credentials and domain name/folder of the site in config.local.php

It works every time for me.

Fotis

Hi Fotis,

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking to Restore db dump on live site from dev site would work, but it turned out not everything will be included. Like some properties of products (Reviews, blocks etc.)

I will definitely give a try of your approach.

Thanks!

Tony

What about using subversion? The methods proposed are quite laborious.

[quote name='dvsgr' timestamp='1354779078' post='150560']

Hi

What I do is zip all files to a single file, backup db through phpmyadmin and then reverse.

Unzip in server, restore db through PhpMyAdmin. Important detail. Change the db credentials and domain name/folder of the site in config.local.php

It works every time for me.

Fotis

[/quote]

Hi Fotis, is your development site on the same domain in another folder or a sub domain or on an entirely different domain? I had my dev site on a different domain and couldn't upload it, now I use a folder on the domain… much easier. Because I contract freelancers and guys I don't know, I rather have my dev site on a different domain without my member list, I wish there was an easy way to do that.

Hi Belzibot

the method I described works for every possible combination of domain names and folders.

I always work on my dev server and then deliver after the payment is fully done, so yes we talk about totaly different domains names.

You should never forget to alter the domain name in the config.local.php (domain and folder) after you bring over files to the new server and very important, copy over by hand the htaccess file cause zip wont include it in the pacjage.

Normaly is no more than 10 minutes procedure! Only if you have a crazy db over 1GB (wich mostly is all stats tables… meanning worthless for me) then it might take longer the download-upload procedure via phpmyadmin. And if that doesnt wotk you always have this [url=“mysqldumper.net”]mysqldumper.net MIracles

Fotis