Be careful using UpFront

I put in the code for upfront about 2 weeks ago and thought everything was fine. Last night though I was told that my descriptions weren’t coming up.

There was a javascript problem with IE8. All other browsers were fine, but for some reason IE8 wouldn’t show the description.

I pulled my hair out forever and then finally realized it was because of the upfront code.

I was able to deduce the problem because there was other discussion on the forum about a different javascript code that was added. I can’t remember the exact thread, but even though it wasn’t exactly what my problem was it helped me a ton.

Anyways, I removed the code and now my site works fine.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the code for UpFront interferes with the descriptions in IE8.

Brandon

[QUOTE]I pulled my hair out forever and then finally realized it was because of the upfront code.[/QUOTE]

What in the world is “Upfront” ?

Considering I have not once even heard of it, I am mostly likely safe that it isn’t causing me any immediate problems! :smiley:

UpFront is a system that can allow the customer to “varify” that you are real. I guess you could look at it like an SSL seal for non SSL stuff.

You can use Upfront to show where your pages like contact us and stuff are.

It is actually something I found off of Snorocket’s site and thought it was “cool”

Personally I doubt it really matters. It was just something that was light weight and was easy to install. I just wish I would have tested it with IE8 before just allowing it to be there.

I guess it was one of those things that I knew I should have tested fully, but I thought since it was small enough it wouldn’t really matter.

Oh well, live and learn.

Brandon

Thanks for the info Brandon!

Yeah, i just stumbled upon it, sorta cool, but I agree that it may not have much benefit.

Proberly easier to get a EV SSL certiticate from instantssl.com which also has the seal of trust. sure beats having to use third-party services in the future (costs about $300 per year, but will pay for itself)

I already have a cert and seal from Comodo. I have it in my lower right hand corner.

This was just something kind of cool.

Unfortunately the price of cool was that no one using IE8 could see my product descriptions for almost 2 weeks.

Brandon

Hi,

I put Upfront logo on my footer (bottom.tpl) and it not only eliminated my product descriptions but also disabled the add to cart button - you click and nothing happens…

I changed the bottom.tpl back to its origin, but although I refresh the browser and use multiple browser, it seems like it keeps on using the old bottom.tpl file.

Is there anyway to “refresh” it so that it will know to go to the new bottom.tpl?

Guyrotberg, this happens to me quite often when editing .TPL files. I have two things I do to get it to go back to original.

1.) Try clearing the cache

2.) sometimes when .tpl files are changed back they simply don’t change for some reason even after clearing the cache. Usually uploading the .tpl that won’t change… WITH the .tpl that calls that the pesky non-changing .tpl fixes the problem all together.

So for instance lots of files in the common_template folder are called by the update.tpl file. So if I am editing a file in the common_templates directory called bump.tpl, and I know the bump.tpl I am editing isn’t changing even though I uploaded it, I will upload both update.tpl and the bump.tpl together, or one right after the other.

99% of the time this fixes the problem. I think it is a smarty thing with the compiled files or cache or soemthing. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

PS. Make a back up first!

[quote name=‘guyrotberg’]Hi,

I put Upfront logo on my footer (bottom.tpl) and it not only eliminated my product descriptions but also disabled the add to cart button - you click and nothing happens…

I changed the bottom.tpl back to its origin, but although I refresh the browser and use multiple browser, it seems like it keeps on using the old bottom.tpl file.

Is there anyway to “refresh” it so that it will know to go to the new bottom.tpl?[/QUOTE]

to clear your cache just add this to your url once …

?cc

so it would look like

[url]http://www.yourcart.com/index.php?cc[/url]

or

[url]http://www.yourcart.com/?cc[/url]

this will clear your cache of any old content …