Automatically Calculating Shipping? Please Help!

With the latest updated version the cart is now calculating and displaying a shipping price in the shopping cart before logging in and before giving your shipping info.

Do you know where can we turn this unwanted feature off? Our sales have dropped dramatically and any help you can provide is greatly appreciated, thank you!

It sounds like it's calculating off of your default address.?

[quote]Do you know where can we turn this unwanted feature off? Our sales have dropped dramatically and any help you can provide is greatly appreciated, thank you![/quote]

Try this Paul,

Admin>Settings>General>Default Location (Leave all address fields blank other than perhaps leaving your “Country” Field set as United States)

The cart is using whatever address lines you have entered in this section as a default address for calculating your shipping rates and presenting them to your visitors as “Default”, so it is normally best to not add anything more than just the Country assuming most of your visitors come from a single country. If your customer base was for example worldwide, then you would even want to leave the Country field blank…You get the point! :)

And what “The ToolCrib” said as well ! :P

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1315597850’ post=‘121346’]

Try this Paul,

Admin>Settings>General>Default Location (Leave all address fields blank other than perhaps leaving your “Country” Field set as United States)

The cart is using whatever address lines you have entered in this section as a default address for calculating your shipping rates and presenting them to your visitors as “Default”, so it is normally best to not add anything more than just the Country assuming most of your visitors come from a single country. If your customer base was for example worldwide, then you would even want to leave the Country field blank…You get the point! :)

[/quote]

It worked, thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your help! Have a great weekend, cheers :-)

Just an FYI for everyone who physical ships orders and has entered a “Default Address”. Currently before the user has ever given any shipping information but they add a product to the cart they are quoted a shipping price in the cart which is bad for business.

Naturally this causes confusion for our customers and here lies the problem. When they are auto quoted shipping prices based upon our default address and then they change this to their real shipping address an “Alert” message pops-up which loses customers.

This “alert” message should be green with a green check-mark as should the promotion alert messages. The current “!” alert message in yellow cause concern, confusion and lost orders. This current yellow alert message should not be used when it's a positive, pro sales message such as a promotion code.

Why is a promotion code message in yellow with an alert “!” yellow rather than in green with a check-mark giving peace of mind and trustworthiness.

Actually after thinking about this “solution” further we realized it creates a much larger problem. When you remove the default address how does the auto shipping calculator have a base/default address with which to use to calculate accurate shipping calculations for our customers?

It should be using the company address and not the default.

Tool is correct. The default address is supposed to be there for default shipping calculations and taxes. The company address is what the shipping rates are calculated from.

I also agree with the promotion color. I just thought it was me that thought it was odd that the promotions are yellow. I guess it isn't just me.

Thanks,

Brandon

[quote]When you remove the default address how does the auto shipping calculator have a base/default address with which to use to calculate accurate shipping calculations for our customers?[/quote]

Paul, the “Default Address” section is actually a “Default Ship To Address”, not an Origin address, that is how CS-Cart uses that information to provide a default Ship To address which is most useful for testing when setting up shipping methods(this is why you were seeing inaccurate shipping rates displayed initially, which would change after your customer actually provides their correct address details)!

This is why I suggested that you do not enter much address detail in this section other than perhaps your target Country as it can cause the exact problem you were having, in displaying bogus shipping rates right outta the gate!

[quote name='Struck' timestamp='1315693019' post='121418']

Paul, the “Default Address” section is actually a “Default Ship To Address”, not an Origin address, that is how CS-Cart uses that information to provide a default Ship To address which is most useful for testing when setting up shipping methods(this is why you were seeing inaccurate shipping rates displayed initially, which would change after your customer actually provides their correct address details)!

This is why I suggested that you do not enter much address detail in this section other than perhaps your target Country as it can cause the exact problem you were having, in displaying bogus shipping rates right outta the gate!

[/quote]

Thank you for the explanation and everyone's help!