Authorize.net Authorie Only

Hello,

I am using Authorize.net and I did set authorize.net to AUTHORIZE ONLY but customer still calls and complaints that their credit card is getting charge, even thou its set to AUTHORIZE ONLY mode, doesn’t authorize only meaning that it will authorize credit card but NOT CHARGE them until we capture and settle funds, please let me know if this is a bug or I am doing something wrong.

Please advise.

yes that’s exactly what it means. Do this in your Authorize.Net control panel at their site.

Are you sure the charge is actually going through for these customers before you capture? Many people think the card has been charged when the charge is pending with authorization. Just a thought…

Stephanie

And is it actually a credit card or a debit card? Many banks will lock funds on a debit card on an authorize to make sure the funds are there when the charge processes. It can sometimes, depending on the bank, take a couple of days for the funds lock to drop.

I’m on authorize,net as well, the setting is on our side, not the web interface. It only does what the API interface tells it to do. So… this is most likely… and I have this at least once a week. The customer says its charging to their card, it is not, if they actually looked it would classify the item as a request to authorize or a valid authorization meaning that the money for the charge has been set aside so that the customer cannot over charge their card, or in times of fraud over charge quickly, this is a good thing for them, and you too. Because now what you do is logon to authorize.net, search for the unsettled transactions and complete transaction. Just remember that once you complete you’re charged for the service charge even if you refund it. If you mearly void it before you batch or before you charge it, then you don’t get any fees added on. This is good if you don’t have an item in stock, the customer doesn’t get charged and you’re not out of pocket on fees.

I use this because my inventory is updated manually daily or weekly depending on how many busy I get because I have retail stores that sell my items too and if its sold in the showrooms the day before then I have a pissed off customer.

Anyone familiar with Open insight databases? Enough to export / import to cs cart?

Robert

Scubagoo.com

[quote name=‘tigerbabba’]Hello,

I am using Authorize.net and I did set authorize.net to AUTHORIZE ONLY but customer still calls and complaints that their credit card is getting charge, even thou its set to AUTHORIZE ONLY mode, doesn’t authorize only meaning that it will authorize credit card but NOT CHARGE them until we capture and settle funds, please let me know if this is a bug or I am doing something wrong.

Please advise.[/QUOTE]

Yes I use authorize.net too and get these calls. These are usually debit card customers. On debit cards the money is held and they need to look under their holds if they have online access to their bank accounts, they will see that it’s a hold and not a charge. You will generally have this issue with debit card customers.

I also use AVS and have this problem when they provide the wrong billing address. Their bank will authorize on their end but it fails on my end. So once I get the right information from the customer, I have to authorize again because on my end the first one failed. Well it shows up in their account as two authorizations, or in my customers mind, two charges. So I have to explain the process of what happened and let them know that one of them will disappear in a couple days as we will not capture the funds and only one of them is a true charge. Again this is mainly an issue with debit cards. I hate it because it’s their checking account but we have information on our checkout pages telling them we use AVS and warning about not providing the right billing address.

We will not stop using AVS (address verification) and CVV as they have helped with charge backs which are now almost zero for us.

so what is the Quick Solution for this, when I set this on CS-Cart to authorize only customer said you have charge my card and it shows on Customer bank that there is a charge but I don’t want to charge them until I ship. Is there a way under Authorize.net web site that we can only authorize the transaction and then capture the funds later once we ship, as CS-Cart authorize only is just charging customer cards even thou it is set to Authorize Only

[quote name=‘tigerbabba’]so what is the Quick Solution for this, when I set this on CS-Cart to authorize only customer said you have charge my card and it shows on Customer bank that there is a charge but I don’t want to charge them until I ship. Is there a way under Authorize.net web site that we can only authorize the transaction and then capture the funds later once we ship, as CS-Cart authorize only is just charging customer cards even thou it is set to Authorize Only[/QUOTE]

Like I said, set it to authorize only and then on Authorize.net’s website, you capture. Just click 'Search for unsettled transactions" and it will tell you everything. Besides, there’s a video tutorial on authorize,net’s website and tons of documentation…

I know how to capture funds and all that but when it does authorize only it is charging customer card like customer can log in to thier online banking and view that recent authorize only which is upsetting them and if the card decline the bank puts a hold. So that doesn’t help, is there a solution like how Dell and all big companies does is they only charge you once they shipped but even if and when they authorize your card you won’t see any hold on your online banking.