Any Seo Issues Selling One-Off Used Products?

My site sells brand new books, DVDs and CDs.

I'd like to start selling used items…not many to start with, just to see how it goes.

One thing I'm wondering about is: what kind of SEO issues, if any, will this cause?

So I list a used book. A week later it sells. In the meantime, Google has indexed the page. The product is now out of stock because I only had one of them. I either delete or disable the product. Next time Google tries to index that page it gets a 404 and I get a crawl error in my Webmaster tools. Multiply this by, say, 100…is this a problem? If so, what is the best way to handle it?

No, Google is constantly looking for individual content and every days millions of pages are de indexed by Google, and billions of 404s are exchanged and Google knows and expects this so no harm is done. You can leave them and eventually they will drop out of webmaster tools.

You may want to think about using your re direct canonical addon though, so that when you disable a sold item you can redirect your customers to a page say, “sorry” that item has now been sold, but we have these similar products which may interest you.

OK thanks for that! So, basically just delete the used items when they sell and don't worry about it…

When you say “use your re-direct canonical add-on” are you meaning the SEO Ultimate add-on (used to be called Duplicate Content and Canonical URL add-on I think) by CSCartRocks?

Do you think it would be better to set up a second store in a subfolder or just add a “used” category to the existing store?

What happens to order records in the database where purchased products are deleted?

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1405782764' post='187843']

OK thanks for that! So, basically just delete the used items when they sell and don't worry about it…

[/quote]

Yep ! or disable them and use the redirect as below

[quote]

When you say “use your re-direct canonical add-on” are you meaning the SEO Ultimate add-on (used to be called Duplicate Content and Canonical URL add-on I think) by CSCartRocks?

[/quote]

Yep !

[quote]

Do you think it would be better to set up a second store in a subfolder or just add a “used” category to the existing store?

[/quote]

Id say set up a new category in the exiting store, and promote it to let customers browse to it from internal too. a god way to shift more books, by 1 new get 1 used for “x” discount

So for the re-directed page that says “Sorry, that item no longer exists”…that's just a single, static page that I redirect all of the sold item pages to, before deleting them?

Better if you set it up to go to the category of Used Stuff.

so say your category is called “used books” then in the product details of the sold item in the “Addons” tab after disabling the product you would change the canonical url to the same url as the category details page of used. Full path is required if i remember correctly.

so lets say the book " a guide to true peace" has been sold and was now disabled, in the addon tab the seo field shows

“a-guide-to-true-peace-guyon-molinos-fenelon”

in the canonical url field above it you would put

http://www.kingsleypress.com/used-books.html

this would redirect the disabled " a guide to true peace" to your used books category

John

[quote name='johnbol1' timestamp='1405794387' post='187849']

Better if you set it up to go to the category of Used Stuff.

so say your category is called “used books” then in the product details of the sold item in the “Addons” tab after disabling the product you would change the canonical url to the same url as the category details page of used. Full path is required if i remember correctly.

so lets say the book " a guide to true peace" has been sold and was now disabled, in the addon tab the seo field shows

“a-guide-to-true-peace-guyon-molinos-fenelon”

in the canonical url field above it you would put

http://www.kingsleypress.com/used-books.html

this would redirect the disabled " a guide to true peace" to your used books category

John

[/quote]

Awesome!

Thanks so much for your help John!