Antivirus Software...Which one is the best?

So we're looking for the best Antivirus Suite. Just curious to what you developers/designers use? In previous post I notice lots seem to use ESET which were strongly considering. It seems from year to year that what was good last year might not be as good this year. What's the best all around AV?

Stu

I really like using Comodo Internet Security.

My computer continues to click along just great and I don't have any problems with anything. I run the Antivirus every other day and about the only thing I ever get is a few false-positives.

I'm very happy with Comodo. I download a lot of legally questionable things and don't have any problems.

One thing though, I'm very careful about what I download. Even though I download a lot of things that might get me into trouble, I'm always very careful to read the comments and stuff before I download anything. I also never open up any videos or anything that are emailed to me. I've actually had to get after my family to not email me anything since I will just delete it straight away.

I also use Firefox with AdBlocker Plus. This removes a lot of those damn junk ads and prevents them from even being downloaded to my computer. This is a big help.

I also use Comodo's DNS stuff. This blocks sights that have bad stuff on them. I don't mean the good bad stuff, I mean the bad stuff that will screw up your computer.

Anyways, I recommend a combination of Comodo, AdBlocker, and just good diligence.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

Well as a software distributor, i recommended to you to install Norton 360, first it is light weight, second the virus detection rate is better than others, third support was awesome. :rolleyes:

[quote name='derbytown502' timestamp='1311483593' post='118102']

So we're looking for the best Antivirus Suite. Just curious to what you developers/designers use? In previous post I notice lots seem to use ESET which were strongly considering. It seems from year to year that what was good last year might not be as good this year. What's the best all around AV?

Stu

[/quote]

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.

I turn off the phishing filter as it's too 'smart' and browser security because I don't need it.

Last I checked it was $50 for 3 PCs - Uses Kaspersky for Anti-virus, their own firewall which is the basis of their company, rest of the module from other vendors. All over the best of all worlds, with the ability to block outbound and inbound internet communication from applications.

[quote]Uses Kaspersky for Anti-virus[/quote]

Kaspersky Labs is the second choice on my list, and I did use them for several years, however, ESET beats them (& everyone else for that matter)hands down in shear effectiveness! :)

If you like the “All in One type Suites”, ESET Smart Security is the only offering I have ever found that really gets it (extremely effective, light weight, setit & forget it). When setup properly, it just does it thing without constant user intervention.

Thanks for the info guys! We ended up trying ESET System Security 4 and it didn't play nicely at all with Windows 7 64bit system. Kept disconnecting us form our network. Yes I'm sure this is probably something to do with the firewall settings, but even after uninstalling the suite. Had to reboot the modems and routers to get internet access. I had a work around for the firewall settings to allow internet access, but to many issues with the firewall it seems from other users.

Installed the ESET NOD32 antivirus along with running windows built in firewall for now. All is working great and I'm all for a very light and effective antivirus. Next will be looking for a good firewall but that's another day. The other options above looked very promising, but I'm a set it and forget it kind of user.

Thanks for the help! Now that darn firewall…

Stu

Stu,

I know that you run Malwarebytes as well, so, if you are running Nod32 along with Malwarebytes and the Windows 7 builtin firewall, you should be just fine.

The real problem with the Windows firewall is that it allows all “outbound connections” which can allow a spyware script to “phone home” if your pc is infected with spyware. That is why I believe you should be fine as long as you are running Malwarebytes in the background.

At the least, the Windows builtin firewall won’t bombard you with warning messages all day long, may not be the safest for kids downloading from warez sites, however it is setit & forget it & quite lightweight. (I think I just talked myself into rethinking our own pc firewalls situation!) B)

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1311556710’ post=‘118144’]

Stu,

I know that you run Malwarebytes as well, so, if you are running Nod32 along with Malwarebytes and the Windows 7 builtin firewall, you should be just fine.

The real problem with the Windows firewall is that it allows all “outbound connections” which can allow a spyware script to “phone home” if your pc is infected with spyware. That is why I believe you should be fine as long as you are running Malwarebytes in the background.

At the least, the Windows builtin firewall won’t bombard you with warning messages all day long, may not be the safest for kids downloading from warez sites, however it is setit & forget it & quite lightweight. (I think I just talked myself into rethinking our own pc firewalls situation!) B)

[/quote]

Haha, thanks Struck and you have a very good memory…very astute I must say. After having our daughter 20 months ago mine is vanishing. Reminds me, I need to re install Malwarebytes as I thought that might of been the cause of my earlier problems with ESET.

Thanks for the help. Now we need to help Brandon with his smartoptimizer errors ;)

Stu

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1311529974’ post=‘118130’]

Kaspersky Labs is the second choice on my list, and I did use them for several years, however, ESET beats them (& everyone else for that matter)hands down in shear effectiveness! :)

If you like the “All in One type Suites”, ESET Smart Security is the only offering I have ever found that really gets it (extremely effective, light weight, setit & forget it). When setup properly, it just does it thing without constant user intervention.

[/quote]

Agreed ESET Smart Security works well. Most importantly it works quietly with one exception - startup scans seem to slow our computers for about a minute or so.

I also use Malwarebytes and Superspy on occasion.

[quote name=‘Traveler’ timestamp=‘1311582451’ post=‘118170’]

Agreed ESET Smart Security works well. Most importantly it works quietly with one exception - startup scans seem to slow our computers for about a minute or so.

I also use Malwarebytes and Superspy on occasion.

[/quote]

Kaspersky Internet Security is my weapon of choice. I do pc consulting and have installed this on clients computers post cleanup of viruses/trojans over 100 times and have never had a repeat customer. I guess it’s actually bad business for me to do this, I should probably use McAfee so I get more repeat customers :) I do get a lot of recommendations though from those customers that are virus/trojan free though so I guess it’s a wash.