Add fields to Product listing in admin mode

Hi - brand new to CS-Cart and developing site to replace one we have been running on Miva Merchant 4 for years.

Our store has over 2500 products and managing them is a full time job because they can change (size, weight cost) on a regular basis.

What would make our life easier would be the addition of a couple more fields on the Products listing in Admin mode.

What’s there is great and we have the COG field courtesy of Snorocket’s Addon and life would be so much nicer if we had the weight field and taxable field for each product. Would save a lot of mouse clicks and screen swapping.

I am sure it is a template thing but I am still new to the Smarty world and do not want to set a foot wrong that would cause problems down the road.

Any advice on how best to proceed? I have no fear of editing tpl or css files but I just do not want to cause a problem for upgrades down the road.

Thanks,

Henry

Forgot to add that we have v2.14 Professional

Umm… You should already have an area in your product details for both weight and a list of checkboxes for the taxes that would be applicable.

What am I missing?

[quote name=‘home@abitofhome.ca’]What would make our life easier would be the addition of a couple more fields on the Products listing in Admin mode.[/quote]

This is an old article but it details how to add extra fields in the admin panel - Sno

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Umm… You should already have an area in your product details for both weight and a list of checkboxes for the taxes that would be applicable.

What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

Yes I have the fields but on separate screens. What I would like is the weight and taxes on the summary product listing that you get by clicking on CATALOG then PRODUCTS.

Then you are correct. Just a matter of modifying the ‘manage.tpl’ in the views/products directory.

Thanks to EZ and Snorocket. By doing a little copy&paste in manage.tpl I was able to add the weight field. I decided to skip the taxes field as it is more complicated and not as critical.

One last question. Is this modified manage.tpl file in danger of being overwritten if I upgrade?

Thanks,

Absolutley. It will be overwritten if it is changed in a future release.