About Taxes

Hello,

Live in NY, I'm having problem setting up the tax. NY have many county's, so there are different taxes.

If I go to Locations and click add location in

General

I add NYC

in Countries

I add United States

In States

I add NEW YORK

Now there any many county's in NY, do I add them under Cities?

Like Dutchess NY, Erie NY, Olean NY, Salamanca NY and so on.

Am I do it right and what do I do next?

Any help will be much appreciate.

Thank you

Tom

I set up a client's site like that per his request. I am not sure how accurate that would be.

I also am located in NY and I'm setting up taxes right now. We use Quickbooks POS in our brick and mortar store and now are starting e-commerce. There is a state and local component to the sales tax. The state component is constant, the local component varies by jurisdiction (town or county). In QBPOS every jurisdiction is entered in a table and the appropriate rate is selected at sale time. I'm hoping CS-Cart can be set up the same way. There are not a tremendous number of jurisdictions. A pulldown for the customer would be workable.

ps- I'd be interested in learning exactly what you do as we are still in progress, and how any other readers handle multiple sales tax jurisdictions. Is there an add-on or some third party service? I see some on-line companies which have tax lookups but I don't know if they can be or have been integrated into CS-Cart. I will post what we do as we proceed.

[quote name='tom437' timestamp='1384490314' post='171653']

Hello,

Live in NY, I'm having problem setting up the tax. NY have many county's, so there are different taxes.

If I go to Locations and click add location in

General

I add NYC

in Countries

I add United States

In States

I add NEW YORK

Now there any many county's in NY, do I add them under Cities?

Like Dutchess NY, Erie NY, Olean NY, Salamanca NY and so on.

Am I do it right and what do I do next?

Any help will be much appreciate.

Thank you

Tom

[/quote]

I believe you are correct. This is how our accountant had us set up our POS system. Although not technically correct, another method would be to charge an average sales tax. You would still owe every jurisdiction their sales tax, based on amount of sale and correct tax rate, which you would have to calculate. This would average out close to the correct method as the rates don't vary that much. You could call it “NYS Tax Processing” (you don't need to collect sales tax for out of state sales) instead of "Sales Tax' or something like that. If a customer complained just refund difference. We are considering this but my preference is to do it correctly if feasible.

We had to set it up via zip codes as that's the way WA state figues it, even though it's paid out to the counties. You can specifiy a range or even wild card zip code ranges in CS cart. It was a one time nightmare, now we can update it pretty easily.

We are going to have someone develop an add-on that will utilize a service called ZipTax. It's pretty affordable and should make life a bit easier.

Hello,

can you please let me know how it is after you implemented in your CS – cart. I'm interested in it, but I want to make sure that it works well with the cart.

Thanks

, Tom

Hello,

I'm looking for something a lot easier like what [color=“#696969”]dysartwebs is for himself. This tax thing is driving me crazy.[/color]

Thanks anyway

We haven't had anyone develop a mod using ZipTax's api. It shouldn't be too hard to do though.