Abandoned carts

I upgraded a site from 2.0.12 to 2.1.4 about a month ago and am noticing something weird with the abandoned carts.

When I look at the abandoned carts log, almost all of them before the upgrade were abandoned by registered users. Since the upgrade, there have been about the same amount by registered users, but now there are also a ton of Unregistered users.

So, I’m wondering.

Were there improvements in the way the cart tracks abandoned carts between 2.0.12 and 2.1.4?

When I did the upgrade, is it possible that all of the abandoned cart logs of the unregistered users were deleted and only the logs of the registered users were kept?

Also, I know there was a post a while back about trying to email users that abandoned their carts. Obviously there isn’t anything that can be done for the unregistered users, but has anyone figured out a solution to email the registered users asking why they abandoned their carts?

Thanks for any ideas.

Brandon

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]I upgraded a site from 2.0.12 to 2.1.4 about a month ago and am noticing something weird with the abandoned carts.

When I look at the abandoned carts log, almost all of them before the upgrade were abandoned by registered users. Since the upgrade, there have been about the same amount by registered users, but now there are also a ton of Unregistered users.

So, I’m wondering.

Were there improvements in the way the cart tracks abandoned carts between 2.0.12 and 2.1.4?

When I did the upgrade, is it possible that all of the abandoned cart logs of the unregistered users were deleted and only the logs of the registered users were kept?

Also, I know there was a post a while back about trying to email users that abandoned their carts. Obviously there isn’t anything that can be done for the unregistered users, but has anyone figured out a solution to email the registered users asking why they abandoned their carts?

Thanks for any ideas.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

Hey Brandon,

In the Newsletter section you can specify the recipients as people who abandoned their carts/wish lists

[quote]

[/quote]

The Auto-Mailer addon was originally going to include this but the feedback was that registered users who abandoned were a very small percentage and it wouldn’t be worth it. So it was not included there.

How old are these carts? They should have been removed after 2 weeks (I think).

[QUOTE]They should have been removed after 2 weeks (I think).[/QUOTE]

I don’t know how long they are retained (or if they are actually purged at a specified time), however, I currently have abandoned carts from just under 90 days still being retained.

I could have sworn that there was a configurable setting to determine how long abandoned carts should be retained, although I sure can’t find it anyplace now.

Out of the approx 150 abandoned carts we have in the log over this 90 day period, only 4 were registered users, and several of these listings were for items non-registered customers added to their “wishlist”, so those are not of concern.

[quote name=‘Struck’]I don’t know how long they are retained (or if they are actually purged at a specified time), however, I currently have abandoned carts from just under 90 days still being retained.

I could have sworn that there was a configurable setting to determine how long abandoned carts should be retained, although I sure can’t find it anyplace now.

Out of the approx 150 abandoned carts we have in the log over this 90 day period, only 4 were registered users, and several of these listings were for items non-registered customers added to their “wishlist”, so those are not of concern.[/QUOTE]

Struck I remember seeing that configurable amount as well but can’t find it. I’m in the same boat… I only have a handful of registered abandoned carts and I just email them manually so I can personalize the email

[QUOTE]Struck I remember seeing that configurable amount as well but can’t find it. I’m in the same boat… I only have a handful of registered abandoned carts and I just email them manually so I can personalize the email[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just last week I spent like 45 mins searching for this setting that I was certain I had configured in the past, thought I was loosing my mind “again”! And I also believe there was a seperate setting for the amount of time “Wishlists” would be retained as well. I remember setting this up something like cart items would be stored for 2 weeks and wishlists would be retained for 4 weeks (beyond 4 weeks, don’t clutter my system, just show me the money!). :confused:

Well, I guess I’m just stoked that it isn’t just me. I do wish there was a setting somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it either.

Thanks for the replies guys, I feel a lot better about it now.

Brandon

I believe it is tied to the session time (config.php). When the session is removed from the sessions table, it should remove the carts associated with those sessions too. If not, it’s a bug since there would be no way for a user to ever get the cart back again after the session is zapped.