301 redirects for products best way?

301 redirects for products best way?

Currently I have 35 products in a subcategory - all is well.

I have taken new photos, changed the titles and product descriptions in a disabled subcategory.

Now I want to delete the old products and use the new products.

Note: The parent category mydomain.com/widgets will remain the same

The product Url will cahnge as an example from mydomain.com/widgets/smallsize

to

mydomain.com/widgets/smallorange

Can I do one blanket 301 reddirect in Cpanel for mydomain.com/widgets

or do I need to do 35 301 redirects?

[QUOTE]Can I do one blanket 301 reddirect in Cpanel for mydomain.com/widgets

or do I need to do 35 301 redirects?[/QUOTE]

If you only have 35 of them to redirect, then should be no problem, and easiest to just enter the individual redirects into your .htaccess file.

[quote name=‘Struck’]If you only have 35 of them to redirect, then should be no problem, and easiest to just enter the individual redirects into your .htaccess file.[/QUOTE]

Why would doing 35 be easier than doing 1?

And why put it manually into a Ht file instead of doing this through Cpanel?

[quote name=‘Traveler’]301 redirects for products best way?

Currently I have 35 products in a subcategory - all is well.

I have taken new photos, changed the titles and product descriptions in a disabled subcategory.

Now I want to delete the old products and use the new products.

Note: The parent category mydomain.com/widgets will remain the same

The product Url will cahnge as an example from mydomain.com/widgets/smallsize

to

mydomain.com/widgets/smallorange

Can I do one blanket 301 reddirect in Cpanel for mydomain.com/widgets

or do I need to do 35 301 redirects?[/quote]

Try this one:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^smallsize/?(.*) http://www.mydomain.com/widgets/smallorange/$1 [R=301,L]
But I don’t know 100% if that will work for you. If it works test your site properly because CSC doesn’t support all rewrite rules.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]Try this one:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^smallsize/?(.*) http://www.mydomain.com/widgets/smallorange/$1 [R=301,L]
But I don’t know 100% if that will work for you. If it works test your site properly because CSC doesn’t support all rewrite rules.[/QUOTE]

Indy,

Thank you for your idea although I am not sure what you mean.

Wouldn’t using Cpanel be much easier? Or is there a problem with CS Cart?

[quote name=‘Traveler’]Indy,

Thank you for your idea although I am not sure what you mean.

Wouldn’t using Cpanel be much easier? Or is there a problem with CS Cart?[/quote]

It doesn’t matter for CSC if the rule will be created through cPanel or manually, but I think through cPanel you will not be abel to make more complex rewrite rules except (*) wildcard.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]It doesn’t matter for CSC if the rule will be created through cPanel or manually, but I think through cPanel you will not be abel to make more complex rewrite rules except (*) wildcard.[/QUOTE]

What I now plan to do is make 35 rewrites and for each one type the complete old and new url.

Indy,

Thanks again for your PayPal ideas it seems like there are too many CS cart bugs just now I shall wait until 2.13

[quote name=‘Traveler’]What I now plan to do is make 35 rewrites and for each one type the complete old and new url.[/quote]

Normally the rewrite rule I posted should work for all files in the folder without to make each one separately.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]Normally the rewrite rule I posted should work for all files in the folder without to make each one separately.[/QUOTE]

Interesting - thanks again.