1.3.5 Demo?

Does anyone know when we can test the demo for the new 1.3.5 beta?

you can test a beta version

go to cs-cart.com

support

help desk

[quote name=‘truem’]you can test a beta version

go to cs-cart.com

support

help desk[/QUOTE]

I really just want to see the new templates. Could someone please take a screen shot of the new template and post it here? This would save me and others a lot of time installing the beta just to view the templates :slight_smile:

Here you go.

I love the scrambled thumbnails. :smiley:

I’m looking forward to the day when CS-Cart releases a table-free layout. It could be just false hope, though.

Once I made a mod, really simple stuff, that was working just fine. I used DIVs instead of TABLES. Then I made a support request, and CS-Cart support changed that tpl file. The support request had nothing to do with the mod I had applied before.

Much later, when I opened that tpl to apply something else, I found that CS-Cart support had commented my DIVs and made exactly the same thing using tables right beneath it. It was shocking to see all the neat code replaced by all that extra clutter to achieve exactly the same layout. :frowning:

I know I can’t generalize something just because one person there did it this way, but I have noticed that coders have a tendency to use TABLES instead of DIVs, even though their use is completely unjustified (in a good XHTML design, tables are used only for tabular data).

As for today, I haven’t seen a CMS that uses tables sparingly. Joomla is getting close…

Can someone post a snapshot of the one page checkout?

You can have a look at the 1.3.5 beta at http://www.gearfast.com. I’ve installed it there and haven’t made any modifications.

I am curious, is it faster.

I know that this is a subjective question but speed is a problem for me.

Any observations are useful.

Regards,

I noticed the link above is using the light template but the page weight (Contact Us Page) is twice as heavy as our brickwork template Contact Us page. The Ajax category links (we have this turned off) is part of it but it is still a heavier template.

It’s really hard for me to say. I’m fairly new to CS-Cart, and my live site is heavily modified. I haven’t really noticed any speed problems, but I use a T1 at work and Cable at home.

I also haven’t played around with the beta much. I installed it the other day and clicked around a bit, but I haven’t changed any settings in admin. Everything is completely default. There’s also only one template to choose from.

[quote name=‘Epoch’]I am curious, is it faster.

I know that this is a subjective question but speed is a problem for me.

Any observations are useful.

Regards,[/QUOTE]

I will download it and play with it for speed.

We are hoping that 1.3.5 has better db query speed and page generation than 1.3.4sp3 as the version we bought is still to slow to be practical for us (large number of unique products and db query speed and table generation).

Thank you both for sharing your experiences.

Regards,

Don’t know about the queries, but this one here is going to make a difference… I counted the number of tags “table” and “div” from the source, and the results are stunning:

cs-cart 1.3.4 sp3 (cscart demo as 10-aug-2007)

table = 164 tags found

div = 94 tags found

cs-cart 1.3.5 beta (demo provided by tjmaxwell @ http://www.gearfast.com)

table = 24 tags found

div = 176 tags found

z-cart* latest (and newly released) stable version

table = 172 tags found

div = 18 tags found

• you know what I mean… :twisted:

** Results include both opening and closing tags.

Bearing in mind that every table has at least two tags “tr” and two “td”, you can only imagine what difference that can do to server load, specially on the long run. For those still wondering what this means, the least tables a layout has, the better. According to latest web standards, tables are only to be used to display tabular data, not for layout. Layout is achieved with DIVs and CSS…

My humble respects to cs-cart’s dev team. :!:

im testing on a 56 k connection right now

and gearfast.com is blazing especially the products pages

i tried to install beta this morning but it was hanging when it got to the database, i cant wait to re upload and install

will they be more skins? i like the new skin but are there going to be more colors in the finial release? that would be great

and can we use the current skins?

[quote name=‘illusion’]Don’t know about the queries, but this one here is going to make a difference… I counted the number of tags “table” and “div” from the source, and the results are stunning:

cs-cart 1.3.4 sp3 (cscart demo as 10-aug-2007)

table = 164 tags found

div = 94 tags found

cs-cart 1.3.5 beta (demo provided by tjmaxwell @ http://www.gearfast.com)

table = 24 tags found

div = 176 tags found

z-cart* latest (and newly released) stable version

table = 172 tags found

div = 18 tags found

• you know what I mean… :twisted:

** Results include both opening and closing tags.

Bearing in mind that every table has at least two tags “tr” and two “td”, you can only imagine what difference that can do to server load, specially on the long run. For those still wondering what this means, the least tables a layout has, the better. According to latest web standards, tables are only to be used to display tabular data, not for layout. Layout is achieved with DIVs and CSS…

My humble respects to cs-cart’s dev team. :!:[/quote]Maybe we should start referring to them as the CS-Cart Div Team. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote name=‘MikeK’]Maybe we should start referring to them as the CS-Cart Div Team. :-P[/QUOTE]

Good one Mike! :lol:

[quote name=‘MikeK’]Maybe we should start referring to them as the CS-Cart Div Team. :-P[/QUOTE]

If you were British, you wouldn’t suggest that! LOL :slight_smile: Calling someone a “div” is not exactly a compliment :wink:

[quote name=‘argentice’]If you were British, you wouldn’t suggest that! LOL :slight_smile: Calling someone a “div” is not exactly a compliment ;)[/quote]I have no idea what you’re talking about. Sure wish you guys would learn to speak proper English. :lol::roll:

[quote name=‘MikeK’]I have no idea what you’re talking about. Sure wish you guys would learn to speak proper English. :lol::roll:[/QUOTE]

DIV OFF!

LOL

[quote name=‘ETInteractive’]DIV OFF!

LOL[/quote]Best laugh I’ve had in a long time. :lol: