automatic account after buying?

Hello,

(Maybe a stupid Q, but i’m new to cs-cart and i did read the manual…)

When a customer buys something for the first time:

when he checks out he gets 2 choices:

either login or continue buying without logging in.

Lets presume he continues without an account:

is it possible that after the sales, an account for this customer

is also automatically generated? (so he gets a pre-made password sent

, and the email adress is the username login)?

Thx!

I don’t think it a good idea, because if he/she wanted to have an account, they already register during checkout.

Doing that my violate their privacy (i guess)

sorry tayda…i cant agree.

i think a new customer who comes on the site the first time thinks that he can either create an account, or one will be created after he filled in all his details when cashing out.

If a login/password is then sent to the customer, it’s his free opinion whether he wants to use it or not…

am i wrong?

yes, I think you are wrong. I would definitely react if someone made an account for me without my consent. In fact, I would even question it’s legality if it occured in my country. If I didnt create an account at purchase, I would expect my personal information be wiped after my purchase. How are the rules for personal information on the internet handled in your country? The EU has rules in general for all EU countries.

i Mean in the way like adding an extra checkbox here

that says “also make an account” or similar. I’ve seen this in

other shoppingcartsoftware and love this feature!

Yes, that is different, the person has then giving their consent for you to create an account. I cant imagine its very difficult to make one for cs-cart. Ask help desk where the code for that button is in cs-cart and copy it and put it there at checkout :slight_smile:

oh, except the random password generator youll have to do yourself. Maybe copy from an oscommerce contrib :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘Tail’s’]oh, except the random password generator youll have to do yourself. Maybe copy from an oscommerce contrib :)[/QUOTE]

CS-Cart already have password generator build in just dont’ know how to intergrate that :slight_smile:

I’ve made a very nice password generator somewhere in the past that makes nice “memorable” passwords like f.e. “kimona5”, “toleda255” etc…

I think if this topic-feature is not implemented in the next version (1.3.4?)

i’ll implement it myself and post it here. np.

i definite not going to use that option now, but looking forward to try it

[quote name=‘nwsco’]I’ve made a very nice password generator somewhere in the past that makes nice “memorable” passwords like f.e. “kimona5”, “toleda255” etc…

I think if this topic-feature is not implemented in the next version (1.3.4?)

i’ll implement it myself and post it here. np.[/quote]

Just wondering if you have integrated such a feature.

I agree completely, most carts offer this for customer convenience so they can log in and check order status / tracking etc… this seems to be a missing piece in the puzzle.

offending me here (not you) in the recent past made me feel as good as inactive/unwelcome here, so that should answer your question.

same for my mods.

sorry m8, nothing personal, just not appreciated. maybe l8r.

i ment well…

If anyone feels up to the task I just wanna chime in on some thoughs.

My idea of this working the best would be a checkbox that says something like “I wan’t to create new account” or something. The same way as “Shipping address same as billing”, when user clicks it three fields pop visible.

Username (or e-mail)

Password

Confirm password

(or just ask for a username and generate password for them)

Basicly the same as when registered in account the other way.

I haven’t noticed that you’ve been unwelcome nwsco. Maybe I missed the action… or maybe you mean the lack of feedbacks on mods etc. Well I get almost none aswell. :wink:

[quote name=‘nwsco’]offending me here (not you) in the recent past made me feel as good as inactive/unwelcome here, so that should answer your question.

same for my mods.

sorry m8, nothing personal, just not appreciated. maybe l8r.

i ment well…[/quote]

Understandable…Its not very nice when people dont appreciate the effort that goes into making something not only work, but easily integrated for other members…

When Ive finally got my products in and start modding, beleive me… Ill appreciate the efforts, with my little knowledge of php I still try and contribute to the forums (in what way I can)

P.S Zyles…

Yes thats the sort of thing I was thinking and im sure NWSCO was too .

thx zyles & sws, ill keep it in mind.

@zyles: no it wasnt lack of feedback :rolleyes:

It is surprising this isn’t a standard option.

Perhaps after the transaction is complete, and the order has gone through, an option could be presented to the customer,

“Would you like to create an account with the information from this order?”

“Doing so lets you logon and check the status of this order. It can also be used for future purchases.

NO CREDIT CARD INFORMATION OF ANY KIND IS STORED ON OUR SERVERS. Your contact information is the only thing retained on file.”

That leaves it up to the customer after the transaction is made, and they can think clearly about the choice, (rather than confuse them during the checkout process.)

Nice idea.

The entire checkout process needs a re-vamp, I think this has also been talked about by a lot of members…

Hopefully its something CS will do for the next version, fingers crossed !

I agree with the free account being created automatically, maybe not all but most of the sites I purchased from and have not registered created an account for me automatically and I like it…

I will at least on occasion pass on shopping at a site that requires me to create an account in order to purchase … it smacks of continued marketing, which in in most cases, especially for a one-off purchase, is not welcome. However, for those rare sites where I shop regularly (mostly B2B, wholesalers, suppliers, etc.) I do appreciate the account to facilitate future purchases.

Some sites issue a password w/ their order confirmation tied to the e-mail address I used during my purchase, and inform me after sale that I can login and track my purchase. I see this as a customer benefit and appreciate it, even though it contradicts my earlier sentiment. I think it’s all a matter of how it’s handled > intrusive and cumbersome or convenient and helpful … the same thing occurs in both cases, an account is created with at least some of your info stored for future reference. The customer needs to have some control over how much info is stored, and if it’s sored permanently or just for a specific purchase.

[Slightly OT] I’m personally offended by brick-and-mortar stores that ask for my phone number in order for me to buy a candle, a toy, or something simple like that. I KNOW they are tracking my purchases for demographic studies and to tailor their marketing (coupons etc) to my “profile”. I feel that this is just far too specific and personal … I wouldn’t balk at them using my zip code, but it’s just not their damn business exactly what my specific shopping habits are. I really think it all hinges on whether you are ‘gathering information’ or ‘offering a service’ … at least on how it is perceived by the customer. [/Slightly OT]

When I ship, I inform my customer of their tracking number, i.e. their “temporary account” at UPS. I’d love to move that purchase tracking to my site, and I think the auto-generated account is perfectly acceptable as long as what info is retained and how it is used is made perfectly clear. Ideally, only that needed to complete the transaction is kept unless I give permission to retain info for future purchases. I like the idea of offering a checkbox (or account options) after the transaction is complete, as this is the least intrusive.

I won’t implement a required log-in, but will offer one on an opt-in basis.

i think most customers would be happy to register if there was a shipping estimator.

how many times have you needed to register on a site just to find the total cost of something and then buy it elsewhere.:lol:

also this would reduce the size of the customer table only being filled by genuine customers.