• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Journey to CS-Cart Rate Topic   - - - - -

Poll: What shopping cart program did you use before CS-Cart? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

What shopping cart program did you use before CS-Cart?

1. None, this is my first store (22 votes [22.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.68%

2. Yahoo! Stores (2 votes [2.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

3. eCrater (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. osCommerce (20 votes [20.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.62%

5. X-Cart (24 votes [24.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.74%

6. Other (please list in your reply) (29 votes [29.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• recedo
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:38 AM #21

Hi,

I'm going to be moving from SunShop to CS-Cart. Unfortunatly it's going to take me a long time to get the design sorted and get all of the mods made/added as I have very little free time.

I can't remember why I went with SunShop in Dec 2004 but wish I never did... Support was pretty slow, requesting a quote was pointless and updates are few and far between. Their attitude seems to be 'we know best' too.

Their software seemed pretty stable and nice a simple for a first timer, but lacked lots of simple, but essential/desirable features.

With the last cart I had to use various other bits of software (CMS, Email newsletters, news system etc) and it all got complicated. With a few mods I should be able to run the whole site under one admin area with CS-Cart.

I have been amazed at this cart so far, especially the price, features and simplicity. Just got to get my head around the template system now, which I get the impression is very powerful!

From the looks of it I'll be sticking with CS for a long time yet.
Simon

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:04 PM #22

CS Rocks !!!
SNOROCKET.COM, Now Accepting PRE-ORDERS:
Customer Service (Helpdesk) Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1
Quote and Invoicing Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1

• keith
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:27 AM #23

Eric,

I could have written your statement myself, I to also took the same path as you with software and probably more (12 years), I also agree with you. But I must add that I also used BVsoftware that won the asp.net awards two years in a row. Although they did, there were issues and the cart did not produce well with orders doing a/b comparison tests. This is another program CS-Cart should look at for some ideas from there powerful application as well as Volusion.

I also have mods on the kettle and trying to determine if I should wait for the upcoming new version.

The only thing that concerns me a bit is the weight of the pages on the CS-cart demo site with the stock skins, They seem to be a little heavy. Although I will have zend installed and will be on a dedicated sever with a top notch host. I'm always concerned with speed for the dialup customers.

As far as the rest of CS-Cart goes, it's darn close to being perfect for me.
Keith

• keith
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:59 PM #24

Eric,

I could have written your statement myself, I to also took the same path as you with software and probably more (12 years), I also agree with you. But I must add that I also used BVsoftware that won the asp.net awards two years in a row. Although they did, there were issues and the cart did not produce well with orders doing a/b comparison tests. This is another program CS-Cart should look at for some ideas from there powerful application as well as Volusion.

I also have mods on the kettle and trying to determine if I should wait for the upcoming new version.

The only thing that concerns me a bit is the weight of the pages on the CS-cart demo site with the stock skins, They seem to be a little heavy. Although I will have zend installed and will be on a dedicated sever with a top notch host. I'm always concerned with speed for the dialup customers.

As far as the rest of CS-Cart goes, it's darn close to being perfect for me.
Keith

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:09 PM #25

the weight of the pages...seem to be a little heavy.

This has been a major problem with Xcrap from the very begining and CS is just as slow and I beleive it is the smarty templating system slowing the carts down but smarty is a very powerful system that works wonders other carts can't even touch. What we need in the checkout process of CS is a very lean,mean and fast checkout machine. I've speeded my cart up by modding a fastlane style checkout process which helps to eliminate code that is unnessasary for the checkout process.

• MikeK
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:12 PM #26

I've used several carts in the past, including Pinnacle, Zen, osCommerce, Miva, and StoreFront. I've tested about a dozen or so more.

I like CS-C so far. It's got a lot of bang for the buck, it's priced low (too low IMO), and it has some rabidly loyal fans/users. It also has a management & dev team that is responsive to customers. Lots of +++, not too many -'s

Cheers,
Mike

• recedo
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:47 AM #27

I agree about the price. I think a lot of people would be happy to pay around the $200 mark for this product.

However, I'm not sure of their company objectives... For example they are probably trying to win over a number of customers with the low price, great features and fantastic support.

You may find it increasing in price in the future when they need more and more support staff.

Either way, I think there is a lot of room to increase the price and still stay on everyones good side!

• MikeK
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:25 AM #28

I think $200 is the upper end (for the moment). But I wouldn't mind seeing them raise the price to say $175, and give the difference to those of us who will be reselling it. They get more for their direct sales, and dealers get a little better margin.

I paid $500 for Storefront and hated it with a passion. I quit using it and went to osCommerce. CS-C will reach a point where it can sell for $350-$500, but it will take a few years.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:26 PM #29

I started with OScommerce and it is such a pain in the a** to maintain that I was looking for an affordable solution with a clean interface that would allow for the virtual downloads. Then I found CS-cart and my needs were met! I hope it continues to grow and I will definitely continue to support/recommend the product to my customers. However, it won't meet the needs of all my customers because some still require additional features CSCart doesn't offer yet so I've had to go back to OSC/CRE for a couple things. (ack)

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:33 PM #30

I've used several carts in the past, including Pinnacle, Zen, osCommerce, Miva, and StoreFront. I've tested about a dozen or so more.

I like CS-C so far. It's got a lot of bang for the buck, it's priced low (too low IMO), and it has some rabidly loyal fans/users. It also has a management & dev team that is responsive to customers. Lots of +++, not too many -'s

Cheers,
Mike

I disagree, it is priced at a point where it encourages third party devs/small startups to get involved in the project and give back, i.e., extending the product. I think messing with the price point will affect the momentum the project is establishing.

• disneyana
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:35 PM #31

Vanessa,

However, it won't meet the needs of all my customers because some still require additional features CSCart doesn't offer yet so I've had to go back to OSC/CRE for a couple things

What would some of these features be? Maybe they can be added to an upcoming CS-Cart release.
- disneyana
CS-Cart v1.3.3
CS-Cart v1.3.4sp3
http://disneyana.com/store

• zoom4267
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:00 AM #32

i found cscart through Hot scrips, i was using what i thought was a good template for my store, but all it had was some nice graphics. i was looking through hot scripts for some stuff and found cs cart and really liked the look and it did everything i was looking for

• Guest_0utcast_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:23 PM #33

We've tried pretty much ever major cart there is but all have something missing or fall short on listening to their customers.

- Cube Cart
- Interspire
- Volusion (prob best if the software was shared so a person/business could get their features added before they die)
- X-Cart
- Mal's (ugh this one is way too much labor)

So we came across CS-Cart and so far were happy. Id like to see some features added to fits the needs of all CS-Cart's customers though.

1. Multiple layout scenarios. The multiple column scheme does not fit well for all.
2. Ability to add tracking numbers to the orders when shipped and/or imported also. I know about the communication part but that can be expanded to include tracking.
3. RMA (return to manufacture) panel
4. Support for more payment types / services like Mal's and Safepay
5. Better layout for one page checkout. Check Volusion's layout maybe

Pros:

1. Multi-Language support!
2. Surcharge on payment types

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:08 PM #34

1. Multiple layout scenarios. The multiple column scheme does not fit well for all.
2. Ability to add tracking numbers to the orders when shipped and/or imported also. I know about the communication part but that can be expanded to include tracking.
3. RMA (return to manufacture) panel
4. Support for more payment types / services like Mal's and Safepay
5. Better layout for one page checkout. Check Volusion's layout maybe

#1 can you explain more, the ability to pick any number of columns is pretty robust.
#2 you can already add tracking numbers to orders when shipped
#3 http://demo.cs-cart....ma&mode=returns
#4 not supported at this time, maybe in a future release
#5 I Agree

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:43 PM #35

I used Zen Cart. It was far too confusing for my brain, and the administration backend was such a hassle because I kept forgetting where to update things (so many options that are badly organized). So after about 4 months of research I finally decided to purchase a cs-cart license.

As much as the software is amazing and achieves 98% of my goals, I have to say a huge part of owning this software is the effectiveness of this forum. The people here are so generous with their ideas and time, and they are always uploading free or cheap mods - its a real community. This is a HUGE HUGE plus for me. Did I mention it was huge? ;)

• ThomH
  • Members
  • 1623 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:02 PM #36

I've tested some free and paid cart systems... A few months ago we've switched to cs-cart. Is more more better and has a lot of modules and addons. Was a good choice. After we have fixed some bugs and reviewed the source code, fixed some xhtml errors works well.
You can see our full customized page here, is valid xhtml css.

WebGraphiq offers a wide range of professionally developed, ready to use CS-Cart add-ons to provide additional functionality and boost your sales. The oldest active CS-Cart add-on development team. -- Since 2006 --

CS-CART ADD-ONS | FREE QUOTE | CS-CART DEVELOPMENT | @webgraphiq

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:24 AM #37

Hello,

I'm using Virtuemart.

Virtuemart Pros:

Simplicity
Fast
Light
Free for starter kit

Virtuemart Cons:

No SEO
PHP Code and (some) Templating code mixed
Very difficult to maintain
€249.00 / month for full kit : http://www.vm-expert...eting-Plan.html :confused:

Lee Li Pop

• mdekok3000
  • Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:23 AM #38

Those are some pretty big cons.

Also, I noticed 2 contradicting words: simplicity and difficult
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

• Lee Li Pop
  • Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:36 AM #39

Hello mdekok3000,

Those are some pretty big cons.

This why I stop to maintain Virtuemart, and I'm changing for CS-Cart.

Also, I noticed 2 contradicting words: simplicity and difficult

Simplicity for newcomer.

Diffuclt to maintain for power user.

Be aware with Virtuemart:

You have 2 layers to maintain!

1 - Joomla layer
2 - Virtuemart layer

It NOT means 1 + 1.

It means 2 exponent 2.

Just one example:

To upgrade release x.0.1 to x.0.2 it's minimum 100 / 150 working hours.

Why?

Because basic Virtuemart is the minimum. If you want a good cart system, you NEED to add a lot of pluggins. And, remember, test, test, test with new release... Customize pluggins. Fix pluggins. Or change pluggins, because sometimes your pretty good pluggins are no more compatible with new release.

Virtuemart is the "Maintain or Death Race".

Lee Li Pop

• javas
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:11 PM #40

Just spent $800 for IXXOCart add-on to a Joomla site, but liked CS-Cart's features and clean code enough to switch, even dumped the Joomla! So far, works very nicely and includes many, many extras, like the Live Chat feature (had paid $30 a month extra for this on other sites). Biggest decision maker: it's OPEN SOURCE! I like to get in and poke around, customizing, etc. Some carts, like IXXO, are encrypted with Ioncube, making tweaks and changes time-consuming, if not impossible, through the cart maker.

My only gripe w/ CS-Cart: I wish there were commercially available templates to make the look truly *mine*! But at least the Smarty files are straightforward for some good 'ol fashioned code changing. CSS is also very clean. Turned out to be a great choice overall, even if IXXO doesn't refund.