• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New CS-Cart Skins still hard to find Rate Topic   - - - - -

• WebGuy
  • Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:24 PM #21

Yes, I agree...I'd much rather have CS-Cart working on speed, optimization, functionality...core enhancements etc...

Thanks for the "Kudos"...I should be "live" with the site by the end of the month :rolleyes:

WebGuy

• zoom4267
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:43 PM #22

Yes, I agree...I'd much rather have CS-Cart working on speed, optimization, functionality...core enhancements etc...

Thanks for the "Kudos"...I should be "live" with the site by the end of the month :rolleyes:

WebGuy

i cant wait to see it. it is beautiful.
Lisa

http://www.skytopdesigns.com Web designs and Development

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:13 AM #23

Hey Webguy, your new site is looking very nice! It will be nice to see it when it is done. Keep up the good work. Hopefully as you get better and faster at designing the templates you will want to offer more.

I wanted to also comment on some of your thoughts...

You said:

I can understand the lack of skins available as most people who do purchase CS-CART are not developers OR designers. They are businesses that need an online shopping cart.

You are very correct. This is why more competitive skins in the community is what I feel would be better for CS as a whole. Sometimes I buy a skin and then just pay a little extra to get it changed slightly to match my logo. This makes a perfect match for the business that wants a great cart but doesn't know how to skin or can't afford to spend mucho dollars to get something custom. I just got done doing this with an OSC shopping cart. I bought the skin, had my logo added by the skin designer and soon the site will launch. It saved me tons of time and still has a unique look and feel.

You said:

Given that 20 hours of design work at a minimum of $25hr = $500

Wow, I wish I could get that for designing some of the decks of cards we create! :P I know it's not a website/skin, but it does require a ton of time and know how.

You said:

Based on this and the information below I understand why there aren't many "skins" sites available for CS-CART, plus the demand just doesn't seem to be there. It's a definitive risk for someone to start creating skins in the hopes that someone would buy them. An awful lot of work for something that may or may not be successful.

Yes, making skins for CS-Cart is a "risk" just as making the original shopping cart was or any business adventure is. Anytime I create a new deck of cards for our website or customers there is an awful lot of work that goes in to creating the deck and I always take a risk of it not selling. This doesn't mean that I can then charge $100 a deck in order to make sure I make my money back. I still have to keep that deck of cards competitive to sell it at all. Sometimes a deck does better, sometimes it is a flop. Every day I create something and bring it to market it is pretty much a "gamble" anyway. That is just the way business is, you just don't know what will fly and what will not.

You said...

The reason you get CS-CART is it's reasonably cheap, easy to install, setup and maintain...not because it comes with 500 skins that all start looking the same after awhile.

The reason I got CS was because of the functions and the price is very competitive. No, I do not expect CS to come with 500 skins any more than any other shopping cart does. What I am dreaming of is more skins being made to mix up what is being offered by CS. When I look at many of the sites I can usually tell right away that it is CS because most are using one of the standard templates with an edited logo at the top. No real personality. A variety of skins can not only help the community, but help CS continue to grow and offer more.

I am hoping that more will learn how to re-skin CS to make it more unique and bring variety to the CS-Cart world.

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:17 AM #24

i know compared to other programs cs cart dosnt have alot of skins. but id rather have them work on an awsome cart then neglect the software for skins.

Yes, I too would rather have the folks at CS continue to improve the site (i.e. speed). I believe the skins would be better coming from outside, 3rd party companies.

• zoom4267
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:59 AM #25

i think the demand for skins is not there because the skins are not there. i would bet if more skins were made they would do well. i would buy one then tweak it to my customers colors. when i first started it took me a very long time to figure out how to play with the template, and im still okay with it, nothing like web guy, but im sure with time and help here, but many of us dont have time and i would be willing to pay. and i agree too that it would have to be a 3rd pary, i want the team at cs cart to stay on thier path with coding,
Lisa

• WebGuy
  • Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:35 PM #26

@clips

Thanks for the compliment on the site...so far, it's getting there. And you know it is actually just a "modification" of the CS-CART default skin.

Wow, I wish I could get that for designing some of the decks of cards we create!

Yeah, I was charging a lot more 4-5 years ago LOL...so to me it's way on the cheap side.

Yes, making skins for CS-Cart is a "risk"..Every day I create something and bring it to market it is pretty much a "gamble" anyway. That is just the way business is, you just don't know what will fly and what will not.

Glad you are in agreement, and I guess there is not many who are willing to take that risk. I wouldn't mind doing it except that I have much more work and have little time to spend creating "ad-hoc" templates. I would rather someone hire me to custom design their particular website...

A variety of skins can not only help the community, but help CS continue to grow and offer more.

I completely agree with you and maybe we will finally start to see others take this ball and run with it...like cscartskins has.

Have a good day!
WebGuy
WebGuy
www.nutraceaonline.com
CS-CART VERSION: 1.3.5 SP4

• zoom4267
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:07 PM #27

everything we do is a risk.. when cs cart started development of the software it was a risk. a good one at that, no guts no glory. but i know too if one risk it they can loose it. but i do beleive cs skins are worth the risk if one can make good ones.
Lisa

• WebGuy
  • Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:35 PM #28

Now that I have had the oppurtunity to view, edit, and play with CS-CART for the first time...I think I could get into creating skins.

But then again...I really don't have the time.
(Which methinks is a good thing) :cool:

I would ask how goes the business at cscartskins?
WebGuy
www.nutraceaonline.com
CS-CART VERSION: 1.3.5 SP4

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:21 AM #29

We just had cscartskins.com do a custom skin for our site at www.newtsgames.com. We installed it last night and finished installing it this morning. I'm still going to redo many of the banners, etc. but the basic skin is installed.

A few of the big things we were going for was:
1) Plenty of use of the pips (hearts, clubs, diamonds and spades).
2) A larger font. I couldn't figure out how to make all parts of the normal templates larger. The default CS font is too small.
3) The use of a backdrop that would not be so "bright" as a white screen. Since I stare at a computer pretty much all day I love sites that bring a little more color than just white.
4) Justified site, in the middle of the screen.
5) Killed the 3 column.
6) Something that did not look like a normal CS skin.

We are also looking at changing a couple of our other sites. For right now we are not going to change or upgrade to CS2.0 until at least some time next year. I'm liking the direction they are going, but really don't want to go through all the bug stuff. Not to mention I really do not like the flow of their admin yet. The version we are on right now is pretty stable so we will design and get ready for the infamous "4th Quarter" 2009.

We may even check out one of cscartskins.com "out of the box" skins. He just added another one a couple of days ago.

BTW, Jason and cscartskins.com was excellent to work with! He was able to "catch the dream" of what I wanted and ran with it. His price was reasonable too.
Regards,
Jim