• You cannot reply to this topic

Prove that CS-Cart is better than X-Cart Rate Topic   - - - - -

• brandonvd
  • is Super Awesome
  • Members
  • 2633 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:49 AM #21

Hey Sno

You keep on talking about the next release. Do you have any screen captures or something to share? I know that you have worked with CS-Cart in the past on projects so I am assuming that you might be testing 1.3.6. Am I right?

Brandon

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:44 PM #22

your correct, however part of the agreement is not to discuss anything in detail, I'd like to stay on board so I don't need to be compromising anything, hang tight though, turkey day will be here before you know it...
SNOROCKET.COM, Now Accepting PRE-ORDERS:
Customer Service (Helpdesk) Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1
Quote and Invoicing Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:08 PM #23

your correct, however part of the agreement is not to discuss anything in detail, I'd like to stay on board so I don't need to be compromising anything, hang tight though, turkey day will be here before you know it...

Effectively it just means that "CS-Cart rocks" which doesn't differ too much from what Sno would normally state. As far as I'm concerned I'll just keep upgrading since it's required :)
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• Guest_Vin Carrillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:41 PM #24

I have been reading these topics, and many of the 'member' only topics for about 2 weeks. In that time I downloaded and setup the trial (thank you). I did have a few questions, and since a topic I created here two days ago never appeared ("unregistered" topics must be moderated) I hope someone can help me.

We are preparing to setup an online store in time for the holidays, and as the webmaster I have been tasked with testing most of the available shopping carts for a presentation to the company owners. I have to prepare a presentation with the shopping cart I determine best fits their needs, and that looks somewhat like what they want the Web site to look like - you can image how much I have to do. These are the shopping carts I have tried to work with over the past two months and issues I found:

Virtuemart - open-source (free is always a plus) and it worked, but the admin was convoluted and it took me almost a week to grasp its product management scheme. Worse yet I posted at least 3 questions on the Virtuemart forum weeks ago and have yet to get a response. I have worked with Joomla for two years and I like the way it handles adding menus and topics - this was not enough to overcome the problems I found with Virtuemart.

Interspire - * no trial available for download - I had to make changes from their online demo. It is a very nice looking shopping cart. It was easy to add menu tabs and pages (important), product variants, and had an incredible choice of templates (not really needed but always a plus). The price however was mind-boggling for the version we need; at almost $1800 without support, and with what appeared to be very restrictive upgrades, this one might be too much for us to handle.

OS Commerce - another open-source shopping cart. Seemed workable at first but the admin was too convoluted for me. This one did not make it past an hour.

CS-Cart - manageable pricing with almost all the features we need. The admin initially was difficult to navigate but with time I am sure I could teach someone else where to find all the options - there is ALOT of stuff back there. I did have some problems and that is where I need some input from folks that already use CS-Cart.

1. Could not add menu tabs. I tried changing the menu tabs ("top menu") without success. I tried removing "My Account" and "View Cart" and adding tabs like Services, Customer Support, and Web Log using what instructions I could find in PDF's and the CS-Cart FAQ's - nothing worked. I saw an example for "Site Map" but this did not help much. I created "pages" thinking this would automatically create the tabs but then realized CS-Cart does not have a native CMS like Joomla or Drupal. A feature-rich CMS is not really necessary but with other people working on the Web site with me to add content, something simple to create pages and related menu tabs/drop-downs would have been a tremendous plus. Or did I miss something?

2. Redundant menu links. Another 'menu' issue was removing what appeared to be links that appeared all over with no way to remove or modify them. I tried removing links from the very top ("Home" "About Us" "Contact Us" "Affiliates" etc.) and then more along the left side and more at the bottom. Is there no way from the admin to edit or delete these?

3. Weird layout structure - probably just me since I am not an expert at HTML or CSS. I did try changing the layout to not stretch, but instead be 1000 pixels wide. As soon as I did that the "container" height shrunk and the left and right columns extended down beyond it. I know this happened because as soon as I changed the background color I saw the mess I created. I tried clear:both and then min-height, which will only work for a limited time. As soon as we add more categories I will be changing the height every day. I am not asking for coding help, but what happened to the container automatically stretching to hold the left and right columns?

I am almost sold on the cost and the features, but these 'small' issues need to be addressed before I can create a 'demo' store for the owners to look at. Any help current owners can offer would be greatly appreciated, especially by me.

Thanks,

Vin Carrillo.

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:03 PM #25

Vin,

The editing of links/menus, from top and side boxes is done through editing the .TPL files. Basically HTML files that you have to customize and then FTP back to your server.

There is a bit of a learning curve to understand the file structure but once you get it, its just basic HTML.

And as always, MAKE A BACKUP copy of any file you are going to edit before you save the changes :D

Good Luck.
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• roban
  • Moderators
  • 1132 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:37 PM #26

Aren't the CSCart developers all prior xcart developers?

• gasngrills
  • Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:57 AM #27

magento and the rest of the wannabe carts won't even be able to come close to matching the functionality in the next release of CS...

Sno , you seem to know much about whats coming in 1.3.6. can you give us a hint or two.:P

CS-Cart 4.11.5

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:04 AM #28

I wish I could but if I did then I'd have to go find another cart to use, and well, you the the story, all the other carts suck...

PS - CS-Cart is better because we have lots of FREE professionally coded Addons/Mods that the competition either doesn't have or makes you pay for, check out the latest FREE Addon from Snorocket.com: [thread=9171]XML Sitemap 1.0[/thread]

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:07 AM #29

Nice job keeping the excitement going on the new release sno.
Regards,
Jim

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:24 AM #30

no problem, the excitement is about to explode real soon...

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:52 AM #31

no problem, the excitement is about to explode real soon...

Next release will be Snorocket XXX - Available now from your nearest DVD retailer
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:15 PM #32

the competition might as well start digging their graves because it's here...

• TonyK
  • Members
  • 1686 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:54 PM #33

http://cs-cart.com/news.html#toc0

2.0 beta available NOW!
Pimpin' skins since v1.0

• glyndon
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:18 PM #34

2.0 beta available NOW!

I have just downloaded it and am going to test it out over the next few days. I must say I'm loving it already!

The admin area is a fantastic improvement.

Well done the CS-Cart team.