• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pop-up cart Rate Topic   - - - - -

• tmv
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:59 PM #1

Dear experts,

Before using CS-Cart I used Shop-Script, it had option "Pop-up cart" - each time when an item is added into the basket a pop-up window opens with cart content (like CS-Cart "View cart") so customer can see what he/she added into the basket and can continue shopping or go to checkout.

How do you think is here any sense to use such option in CS-Cart? Although CS-Cart uses AJAX "add to cart" button and each time a notice appears that item was added but at my opinion this is not obvious how to go to checkout - a customer should find a link or button which leads to the checkout procedure.

Please share your opinion. Thank you.

Michael

• zoom4267
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:18 PM #2

there is a link button for check out, but i too would like to see mabey a small side box with the cart items in there so at a glance the customer can see whats in the cart.
Lisa

http://www.skytopdesigns.com Web designs and Development

• pbradish
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:08 PM #3

I agree with tmv. This small modification would most likely help increase conversion rates as well.

• tmv
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:45 AM #4

I agree with tmv. This small modification would most likely help increase conversion rates as well.

Thank you for your reply and support. I want to tell you a small secret - I asked to do this modification and it really works but one my customer said that it was confusing and I turned it off. So I decided to ask an opinion of experts. If you wish you can see this modification in action on my modest site http://russian-crafts.com . Usually it is turn-off but I turned it on for a couple of days. I will be grateful for your opinions.

Michael

• giftedwon
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:54 AM #5

looks great. so how did you do it ?

• zoom4267
  • Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:00 AM #6

i have to say its interesting. the problem i had is i have 2 monitors and the pop up showed up on the other one so it took me a second to see it. Its cool though. It would be neat if it worked like a light box, where it comes out of the cart text. i can see how it could confuse customers, but i kind of like it
Lisa

http://www.skytopdesigns.com Web designs and Development

• tmv
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:52 PM #7

Thank you for your comments. This is not me who did it, I hired CS-Cart programmers to make modification, I just give an idea and now I doubt that idea was good.

2zoom4267 - I do not think that my customers (at least main part) use 2 monitors :-). Your idea to use a light box effect if good, thank you but I do not know if this is possible to do with plain HTML page - I try to avoid complications with JavaScripts,

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:30 PM #8

Hi,
I like this function. Couple of Questions:
Can it, or does it include a shipping estimate in the pop-up and does it work with single page check-out?
What did the customer(s) say as to what confused them?
Does this work will if the products had options? Not sure which if any of your products had drop-downs, text input to see how it works.
Thanks,
Bob

• pbradish
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:07 PM #9

Thank you for your reply and support. I want to tell you a small secret - I asked to do this modification and it really works but one my customer said that it was confusing and I turned it off. So I decided to ask an opinion of experts. If you wish you can see this modification in action on my modest site http://russian-crafts.com . Usually it is turn-off but I turned it on for a couple of days. I will be grateful for your opinions.

Michael

I think that it looks good - the mod certainly has potential. One customer complained out of how many? Do you notice an increase in order volume when the pop-up box is turned on? I would run some split tests :)

• argosmedia
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:28 PM #10

Looks good, although in IE7 it opens a new tab instead of showing a popup. So a DHTML / lightbox version would be even better.
Jurgen Nijhuis
www.argosmedia.nl

• pbradish
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:19 PM #11

Looks good, although in IE7 it opens a new tab instead of showing a popup. So a DHTML / lightbox version would be even better.

Works as a pop up for me in IE7... but that does make me curious how many potential customers could run into problems with a pop up.

• argosmedia
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:29 PM #12

Ah... I found out that it is a setting of IE7 that determines how popups are shown. I don't know what the default is. I switched to normal popup view in IE7, and now the site shows them indeed as regular popups.
Jurgen Nijhuis
www.argosmedia.nl

• tmv
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:13 AM #13

Thank you for your help. I want to tell that I switch off the pop-up cart option, definitely it should be changed. First of all it works slower that I expected, much slower. Then each time when it pop-ups it makes a new cart, so when a customer added 10 items into shopping basket 10 user carts are created. And in the end your idea to create a DHTML/lightbox seems much better. Maybe in future I will ask to make some changes.

Now answers at your questions.

2 pbannette

Can it, or does it include a shipping estimate in the pop-up and does it work with single page check-out?

I think this is possible to include, I tried it and it worked but I remove it as it makes the limited size pop-up window too big. It works independently from method of checkout. At the moment I do not use one-page checkout as new modification (again) is under testing and there are some problems with one-page checkout.

That was my old wholesale customer who is about 60. He just said that it was confusing but I think that in reality the problem was that pop-up cart is too slow.

Does this work will if the products had options? Not sure which if any of your products had drop-downs, text input to see how it works.

It does "keep in mind" options but does not show in pop-up windows - I wanted it to be light weight and fast. Only a few items have options so I did not included them into pop-up cart.

Do you notice an increase in order volume when the pop-up box is turned on? I would run some split tests

Sales are unpredictable so I can not determine how this option can increase/decrease sales. I see that majority of on-line store use plain cart side-box somewhere in top-right (for instance Lego shop), on-line shoppers used to this location so, maybe, there is no need to invent something new?

• tmv
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:14 AM #14

Thank you for your help. I want to tell that I switch off the pop-up cart option, definitely it should be changed. First of all it works slower that I expected, much slower. Then each time when it pop-ups it makes a new cart, so when a customer added 10 items into shopping basket 10 user carts are created. And in the end your idea to create a DHTML/lightbox seems much better. Maybe in future I will ask to make some changes.

Now answers at your questions.

2 pbannette

I think this is possible to include, I tried it and it worked but I remove it as it makes the limited size pop-up window too big. It works independently from method of checkout. At the moment I do not use one-page checkout as new modification (again) is under testing and there are some problems with one-page checkout.

That was my old wholesale customer who is about 60. He just said that it was confusing but I think that in reality the problem was that pop-up cart is too slow.

It does "keep in mind" options but does not show in pop-up windows - I wanted it to be light weight and fast. Only a few items have options so I did not included them into pop-up cart.

Do you notice an increase in order volume when the pop-up box is turned on? I would run some split tests

Sales are unpredictable so I can not determine how this option can increase/decrease sales. I see that majority of on-line store use plain cart side-box somewhere in top-right (for instance Lego shop), on-line shoppers used to this location so, maybe, there is no need to invent something new?