• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What happens if I change host?? Rate Topic   - - - - -

• ernestor
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:23 PM #1

Hello to all the members!!

I am in the process of changing hosting company.
I just purchased the cs-cart about 2 weeks ago and it was installed in my old (to be canged) hosting company.
I have worked a lot customizing the cart and I don't want to loose all this work.

How can I safely move to my new hosting company??

I would appreciatte any support or feedback

thanks a lot and happy weekend to all!

• snorocket
  • Forum Janitor
  • Members
  • 2519 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:51 PM #2

Hi Ernestor, first step is you'll want to login your database with phpmyadmin and backup your databse, download it to your home computer, then you can ftp to your webserver and download your entire cs-cart store to your home computer, now you do the oppostie with your new host by logging into your database with phpmyadmin and uploading your database and then ftp to your server and upload your cs-cart store. If possible you should keep the new databse name/login info the same but if you can't it's a super easy fix, just find and open config.php, change the setting to your new db/login info and ftp and re-upload config.php, you should'nt have too many problems but if you do just post a mesage here, let us know -snorocket
SNOROCKET.COM, Now Accepting PRE-ORDERS:
Customer Service (Helpdesk) Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1
Quote and Invoicing Addon for CS-Cart v4.3.1

• ernestor
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:46 AM #3

Thanks a lot snorocket

Let me see if I get it:
1) backup cscart databse and download to my home computer
2) uncompress cs cart database and uploaded to the server (old host) using ftp.
To what directory should I upload the database?
3) Then download the whole store (including cscart database) to my computer again
I tried downloading the store files without the cs cart database and I keep getting error 505 when downloading this folder: htdocs/var/compiled
4) then when both the cscart database and store are in my home computer upload them to the server of my new host. Also I should create a databse in my new host called cscart with same username and password. I know I shoild upload the store files to the public_html folder but where should I upload the database?

Hope it is clear.
Sorry for the new questions but it sounds easy but when one tries to do it it a lot of questions come into my mind

Thanks again

Regrards

• elsieallen
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:57 AM #4

be sure your versions of MySQL match between hosts...

I moved my cart recently, and the versions were different. When I saved my database from Host A, the SQL syntax was different. Before I uploaded to Host B, I had to do a find and replace in the sql file... don't remember the exact change, but it was something about the TYPE=MyISAM statement.

Once I figured out what was going on, it was easy to fix... Also, both hosts A & B were useless for support... once they hear it's a SQL database or script issue, they don't want to help. So I was on my own to resolve the problem.

You may be luckier than I was.

Lorne

• MikeK
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:14 PM #5

One landmine I stepped on with backing up the db through phpMyAdmin was that my server had a limit on the size of a db backup file. Check to be sure you got all the data, all the way to the end of the db. Fortunately, I found the limit before I got into trouble and was able to change the setting and get the whole thing.

Cheers,
Mike