Php 8 Upgrade Required

When we switch from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8 our site does not load. Is there anything we can do to upgrade. It is mandator from our hosting company.

Hello

https://docs.cs-cart.com/latest/install/system_requirements.html

It doesn't say here that CS-Cart / Multi-Vendor is php 8 ready. You should be using php 7.4

Best regards

Robert

Thank you soft-solid.

Indeed there is no official support of PHP8 yet.

In general PHP8 works quite fine with CS-Cart since 4.13. Several of our QA work exclusively on PHP8. However there could be some specific bugs.

Since CS-Cart 4.15 we will officially announce support of PHP8.

To give a little more context to what Ilya said:

CS-Cart usually supports new PHP versions long before we officially announce them. We do it like that to ensure the best possible experience for the widest audience. Most customers aren't after the bleeding edge technologies; they'd rather have their site work as smoothly as possible.

That's why we start by having some of our QA engineers test the software on the new PHP version. The process takes months; we catch issues (or learn about them from early adopters) and fix them in new releases. Then, once we've tested it long enough to ensure that everything works fine, we declare official support.

As Ilya mentioned, CS-Cart 4.13.x already supports PHP 8 "unofficially", so you should be able use it. The later the CS-Cart version, the better it should work with PHP 8. In version 4.15.1, we'll make the support of PHP 8 official.

P.S. It's too soon to start using PHP 8.1 though. We know for a fact that there are issues with that version, and we'll be working on fixing them.

Hi all,

hope to find you in good health.

I just noticed that on 4.15.1 code and i think its a bit strange.

fn.init.php

if (version_compare(phpversion(), '8.0.0', '>=')) {
    $view->error_reporting &= ~E_WARNING;
}

In my understanding this says, don't show warnings after this line runs.
Can you explain that?

Hi all,

hope to find you in good health.

I just noticed that on 4.15.1 code and i think its a bit strange.

fn.init.php

if (version_compare(phpversion(), '8.0.0', '>=')) {
    $view->error_reporting &= ~E_WARNING;
}

In my understanding this says, don't show warnings after this line runs.
Can you explain that?

Its issues with smarty iirc.

Its issues with smarty iirc.

smarty update in 4.15.1 is causing tons of php notices even in php7.4 especially in 3rd party apps

PHP 8 will be much faster than PHP 7 because of the new asynchronous design and JIT compiler.

Can someone please update the documentation for PHP 8 - So we know what environment is best?

Can someone please update the documentation for PHP 8 - So we know what environment is best?

Thank you for pointing out!

We have the ongoing task on this topic. I think, the documentation will be updated soon.

I know nothing about code.
Currently running the latest CS-Cart v4.15.1.SP2 on php 7.1
Will running php 8.0 improve performance or security or both ?

I know nothing about code.
Currently running the latest CS-Cart v4.15.1.SP2 on php 7.1
Will running php 8.0 improve performance or security or both ?

Hello!

In short, will improve both.

Thank you.

smarty update in 4.15.1 is causing tons of php notices even in php7.4 especially in 3rd party apps

Well I noticed something else when we switched to PHP 8.0 with our V4.15.SP2 store (with Unitheme installed), albeit faster the invidual product page did not load certain elements of the Unitheme2 such as the header, company logo blocks etc. But is sure was fast.

We are back now on PHP 7.4

Well I noticed something else when we switched to PHP 8.0 with our V4.15.SP2 store (with Unitheme installed), albeit faster the invidual product page did not load certain elements of the Unitheme2 such as the header, company logo blocks etc. But is sure was fast.

We are back now on PHP 7.4

I can only recommend you to contact Alex Branding team on this topic.

CS-Cartv 4.15.1.SP2

Went to php8 and there was a noticeable slow down.

Back to php7.4 and all is well again.

CS-Cartv 4.15.1.SP2

Went to php8 and there was a noticeable slow down.

Back to php7.4 and all is well again.

This may be a consequence of a suboptimal configuration of PHP settings. Please contact us via Help Desk on this case and we will try to examine this issue in your store.