• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Changing how we store images Rate Topic   - - - - -

• scarroll
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:23 AM #1

When I setup my CS Cart, I chose the setting "Database" for Image Location. Now I'm seeing how this might be degrading performance, and I want to switch to "File System". I can't find any documentation on this, and with over 1000 items in my DB I'm a little nervous about just changing the setting. Has anyone made this change, and if so, what did you have to do before/after to get everything working correctly?

Thanks.

• S-Combs
  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:58 AM #2

You need to be careful trying this if you have many product images because it often takes multiple tries to get it right. This is a very server intensive operation and will push the resource limits set by most hosts. I've seen the process get about half completed and stop because memory limits were exceeded.

I can help you with this once we get your site setup on the new machine and a backup ran. Don't worry about the database size (answering your ticket here, hehe), I'll get it installed via SSH
Secure Cart Hosting
[CS-Cart Optimized Solutions and Server Management]

• Darius
  • Douchebag
  • Members
  • 3324 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:38 AM #3

Hi,

I am only beginning to setup my catalog and am thinking what is better to use for my product picture location "Database" or "File System"? What are cons and pros using them ?

• Martin
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:38 PM #4

I would be interested in this information as well.

Martin

• pbradish
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:52 PM #5

Hi,

I am only beginning to setup my catalog and am thinking what is better to use for my product picture location "Database" or "File System"? What are cons and pros using them ?

I don't have the details but I always hear that "File System" is better. Logically, it makes a heck of a lot more sense rather than storing all of the product images in a massive DB.

Because of this, we'll be switching our stores over from database to file system shortly. We are on our own high-end dedicated server, so hopefully the slowdown won't be too dramatic.

I will let you know the results.

• pbradish
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:06 PM #6

We switched the product images to "File System" successfully. We had 814 products and the update only took a couple of seconds. Everything appears normal and very fast.

Add: Switching from Database to File System cut our Database size by nearly 60MB!

• pcascio
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:03 PM #7

Does FIle System, mean it's on the same server, but simply not a part of you SQl file?

Would hosting them on a different server offer any advantages or disadvantages?

• MikeFold
  • Members
  • 1034 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:50 PM #8

Does FIle System, mean it's on the same server, but simply not a part of you SQl file?

Would hosting them on a different server offer any advantages or disadvantages?

You assumption is correct. The images are simply stored in a folder(s) on your server.

Hosting images on a different server offers no advantage as far as I know (at least on the smaller scale of the stores most of us run).
[SIZE="1"]Seamlessly Upgraded to 1.3.5sp4 from 1.3.4sp3
Live: Playboy Collectors Gallery
(Adult)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]LOOKING FOR A FEW COPIES OF THE NEW LITHUANIA PLAYBOY ISSUES...AND COLOMBIA ISSUES.....
FEEL FREE TO Private Message Me....THANKS[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Slightly Modded Default Red | Zardos Lightbox | Sitemap | Multicards Payment Mod |
Cart & Checkout Pages Modified |
[/SIZE]

• CommandCom
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:53 AM #9

So am I correct in assuming that if we switch from Database to File System, all the images will be copied to the file server automatically?
We are nervous about this beccause we have over 1000 images in the database , but we feel that perfomance would be better if the file system was handling the images. Is there any danger in making this switch?

• The Tool
  • Been Here Way Too Long Member
  • Members
  • 3876 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:03 AM #10

Performance will be better. Making the change should not be a problem. I suppose it all depends on your server/host.