Var Folder

Hi everyone,

one of our programmers deleted our var folder by accident when trying to only delete the cache folder within.

This is obviously more than a nuisance, especially since our last backup dates back to before the 4.12 update came out.

We have asked our hostig provider why and how this was possible but apparently no one knows anything.

What would be the best way to recover the var folder and its contents?

We would be very grateful if anyone had some advice or help for us.

Thank you. :-)

See if your hosting provider does nightly backups, most do, then restore from that.

Best solution is probably to recreate the var directory, copy whatever is in the `/design` path to `/var/themes_repository` and that will be it really. NOthng more you can do sadly.

Your files will obviously be gone :C

Best solution is probably to recreate the var directory, copy whatever is in the `/design` path to `/var/themes_repository` and that will be it really. NOthng more you can do sadly.

Your files will obviously be gone :C

I tried copying everything I could find in the latest CS-Cart update version into the new var folder and have reinstalled all our add-ons.

I shall try and copy the contents of the design folder as per your instructions. Thanks for that!

Are there any other files or folders in the /var folder that are essential for the shop to operate? Because it kinda seemed to work (with a few little bugs of course) even with the var folder being completely absent.

See if your hosting provider does nightly backups, most do, then restore from that.

That was the first thing we tried, but for some reason, the daily updates stopped a while back.

I tried copying everything I could find in the latest CS-Cart update version into the new var folder and have reinstalled all our add-ons.

I shall try and copy the contents of the design folder as per your instructions. Thanks for that!

Are there any other files or folders in the /var folder that are essential for the shop to operate? Because it kinda seemed to work (with a few little bugs of course) even with the var folder being completely absent.

That was the first thing we tried, but for some reason, the daily updates stopped a while back.

Great, that should do the trick, although, like mentioned before, your files (/var/files) can not be restored.

Next time though, make sure the set the permissions of e.g. all non-cache files to something *other* than the webserver. This way, if your admin has only basic privileges by default, he will not be able to delete the actual directory.

Nonetheless, just use `?cc&ctpl` next time, it does quite literally the same thing.