• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dev Store Rate Topic   - - - - -

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:49 PM #1

Hello,

I currently have a dev store (v4.8.2) which I want to upgrade so it is the same version as my live store (v4.9.2 SP1). I think this would be a good idea as I will be making a lot of changes soon, so it should be better to test on the same version?

I don't know if I am correct in my thinking but could I just rename the folder on my server for the dev site to something else, and then perform STEP 1, 3 & 4 from this guide to pick up all the latest files from my live store? Or would it not working with the existing database from the dev store?

• Jim01
  • Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:31 PM #2

https://docs.cs-cart...bdirectory.html

• johnbol1
  • Never Re
  • Members
  • 4923 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:46 PM #3

Yes, after making a copy of all your directories, rename it do dev or whatever you want, but esnure whatever you call it, the names gets changed in the config file etc.

A full backup is advised before you do anything

Custom printed hi visibility clothing sale the UK's online hivis safety shop
v4.5.2

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:52 AM #4

Yes, after making a copy of all your directories, rename it do dev or whatever you want, but esnure whatever you call it, the names gets changed in the config file etc.

A full backup is advised before you do anything

Yes that's what I thought to do, I just realised I didn't actually include the link (https://docs.cs-cart...bdirectory.html) in my original post so you wouldn't know what "steps" I was referring to!

A full backup of the dev store? Would you advise doing this through the administration panel in CS-Cart or through the cPanel?

• Flow
  • Super Duper and Amazingly Sexy Senior
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:22 AM #5

If you don't need anything special from your current dev store, you could maybe better just make a complete copy of your live store?

When life hands you lemons, bring on the Tequila baby!

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:10 PM #6

If you don't need anything special from your current dev store, you could maybe better just make a complete copy of your live store?

I think I might just do this, thanks

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:55 AM #7

Looking at step 1.2 (from https://docs.cs-cart...irectory.html),it says to make a subfolder in the same directory as my CS-Cart install. Would this be a folder in the root folder or a subfolder in "public_html"?

• Jim01
  • Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:12 PM #8

Looking at step 1.2 (from https://docs.cs-cart...irectory.html),it says to make a subfolder in the same directory as my CS-Cart install. Would this be a folder in the root folder or a subfolder in "public_html"?

yes

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:14 PM #9

yes

Yes to which one? In the root folder or in the "public_html" folder?

• johnbol1
  • Never Re
  • Members
  • 4923 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:33 PM #10

the one and the same

Custom printed hi visibility clothing sale the UK's online hivis safety shop
v4.5.2

• Jim01
  • Advanced Member
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:43 PM #11

"public_html" is your root folder. this is where your cart is installed.

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:20 PM #12

My bad, I logged into my cPanel and the root folder I see contains other folders. Now I understand. So assuming I do all of the steps correctly, will closing the storefront stop any Google bots from listing the dev site?

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12052 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:40 PM #13

If all you're worried about is Google crawling your store, you can just use robots.txt (they will honor it).  But to prevent all unknown entities from accessing your store, you should simply close the storefront.  The backend is password protected.

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• eComLabs
  • CS-Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 21883 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:57 AM #14

So assuming I do all of the steps correctly, will closing the storefront stop any Google bots from listing the dev site?

https://docs.cs-cart...ore_closed.html

GET A FREE QUOTE | CS-Cart Add-ons | CS-Cart Licenses | CS-Cart Development | CS-Cart Design | Server Configuration | UniTheme and YOUPI
CS-Cart                USD 345     Multi-Vendor              USD 1250    Multi-Vendor PLUS           USD 3100 (2775)
CS-Cart Ultimate  USD 775     CS-Cart + YOUPI      USD 545      Multi-Vendor Ultimate       USD 7500 (6000)

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:24 AM #15

If all you're worried about is Google crawling your store, you can just use robots.txt (they will honor it).  But to prevent all unknown entities from accessing your store, you should simply close the storefront.  The backend is password protected.

I have closed the storefront as mentioned, and set up an access key so I can still view what I'm doing. What do I need to do with the robots.txt file, just so I can be sure Google won't crawl it. And also, as my dev site is "www.example.co.uk/dev" will Google pick that up as a subpage of my live store?

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:32 AM #16

I've just added this into my robots.txt file. Is this right?

Disallow: /dev

• eComLabs
  • CS-Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 21883 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:42 PM #17

I have closed the storefront as mentioned, and set up an access key so I can still view what I'm doing. What do I need to do with the robots.txt file, just so I can be sure Google won't crawl it. And also, as my dev site is "www.example.co.uk/dev" will Google pick that up as a subpage of my live store?

With the closed store-front you should not do anything with robots.txt file. If you see the store-front

- you have already entered store access key earlier

or

- you are logged in the store-front under admin account

So just use incognito window in your browser to check the result

GET A FREE QUOTE | CS-Cart Add-ons | CS-Cart Licenses | CS-Cart Development | CS-Cart Design | Server Configuration | UniTheme and YOUPI
CS-Cart                USD 345     Multi-Vendor              USD 1250    Multi-Vendor PLUS           USD 3100 (2775)
CS-Cart Ultimate  USD 775     CS-Cart + YOUPI      USD 545      Multi-Vendor Ultimate       USD 7500 (6000)

• tbirnseth
  • CS Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 12052 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:07 PM #18

Agree with Ecom... 

EZ Merchant Solutions: Custom (USA based) B2B Development, Consulting, Development and Special Projects (get a quote here).
Commercial addons, payment methods and modifications to meet your business and operations needs.

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:33 AM #19

I have now managed to get the dev store set up and installed UniTheme v1. However, I'm having a weird issue where a lot of the pages return a 404 error. It has auto-populated my products onto the home page and if I click on them, it returns a 404 error. The same happens with category pages. Weirdly, the 404 error shown links back to my old theme but on the same dev store? 

If I search for the products, they do appear in the search results and quick view works, but I can't open them? I have tried resaving the product and category but this still doesn't work. Any ideas?

• Ghiyas
  • Trial users
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:48 AM #20

Update: If I disable the SEO addon, it all seems to work fine. Re-enabling the addon stops it working. Any ideas why this is?