Help - Processing Returns Seems Impossible

I am having a really hard time understanding how to deal with customer returns in CS cart, our previous system was very easy so cannot fathom why this is so difficult:
  • Most of our customers order multiple items so most returns are for a subset of the items on an order.
  • Customers can pay using points, card, paypal or gift certificate
  • We do not force customers to open accounts so some customers send goods back without prior authorisation.
The RMA addon is installed but there doesn't seem to be any option displayed for customers to select an item for return or for us to modify an existing order to show one or more items have been returned. The functionality which is clearly shown in the documentation and videos just isn't working. I have opened a support case to find out why the add on isn't working but so far haven't had a reply.
I have however managed to change the default return period from 10 to 30 days ( thanks to https://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/11475-change-return-period-for-all-products-at-once/) although it seems incredible that setting a 30 day default is such a monstrously convoluted process and not just a simple selection box, it seems like a major oversight.
I have also tried creating a credit memo order status but cannot understand what that is meant to achieve, it doesn't seem to actually do anything meaningful.
I tried editing an order to change the number of items but then the system asks me to save and process payment - does that mean it does the partial or full refund for me or should I go into the payment processor front end and do a manual refund? Also, if the order value is less than the minimum order amount this save simply fails.
How do points get rescinded for returned items ?
How do I issue customers with a revised invoice for the transaction ?
As you can tell, I really need some hand holding through the operational procedures for returns and to understand the effects on stock / payments / invoices. I thought I had the system set up correctly but it just doesn't seem to work so might have missed something necessary in the set up. It seems incredible that such a basic part of the post-sales processing path is so difficult to do.
I would really appreciate some help, I have a pile of christmas returns and customers awaiting refunds so this is quite pressing.
Thanks.

Hello,

We have run into this issue as well, hence we are now literally rewriting the RMA addon to at least make more sense, as its pretty useless right now. Besides that, I also think there ought to be some kind of ticket integration in CS-Cart for proper RMA, but I will see to that later.

For now, just create a seperate email address for returns or create a form in the pages section, to allow people to apply for refunds. Then just create a separate order status and put in the customer notes what has been returned.

Kind regards,

For now, just create a seperate email address for returns or create a form in the pages section, to allow people to apply for refunds. Then just create a separate order status and put in the customer notes what has been returned.

I did initially start with a returns page form, which works just a notification method but doesn't have any real functional value.

So far I have been reduced to issuing refunds manually from the payment service provider and putting a note on the order details just as you suggest but that is not sufficient for when we download the sales data at the end of the month to run through the accounts system and nor does the customer have an invoice/credit note that reflect the VAT etc correctly. Also the customer still has all their points allocated even for returned items, that's not a big issue, but is open to abuse.

What I really don't understand is why the RMA add on isn't even showing the option on an order to return an item - this is clearly shown in the training videos and documentation so something is definitely not working as advertised.

SOLVED

see these two threads:

https://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/60927-rma-and-price-list-addons-not-working-in-4121

https://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/11475-change-return-period-for-all-products-at-once