Correct Way To Replace Images In 4.11.xx?

Recently, replacing the product images adds on randomized characters to the filename.

eg: If I uploaded the image "product_image.jpg", and wanted to replace this with a new image with the same filename, the image becomes "product_image_adcw-ix.jpg".

In earlier versions, if I deleted the image first in the Product Edit page, saved, then reuploaded a file with the same name, it maintains the same filename without adding on characters.

I've also tried searching through the files for all the thumbnail variants, deleted them first, then tried to reupload, but the images still get assigned a new name.

Is there a proper way to delete images, that would allow them to be reuploaded with the same filename?

I'm still on 4.9 so I don't know if anything has changed since but you need to delete the files in the folder /var/custom_files/sess_data/ at all times. Also importing images seems to not change the image name although the actual path may not be the same (different folder).

I'm still on 4.9 so I don't know if anything has changed since but you need to delete the files in the folder /var/custom_files/sess_data/ at all times. Also importing images seems to not change the image name although the actual path may not be the same (different folder).

Thanks for this! I'll give it a try. I did consider another option, to manually create the different thumbnail sizes, then upload them into each directory in the "Files" section. Tedious, but it might also mean keeping the same directory/file path.