Accidentally Erased Layouts

I was changing the checkout page type and cs-cart make a backup layout for me, while I was importing that xml to revert my changes and I misunderstood the option 'Clean up locations before import'. All of my layout tabs were removed and it just has the checkout tab listed.

How can I restore my layout tabs? Are they stored in the file system somewhere? In a DB table?

Yes, they are stored in the database. Contact hosting provider and ask him to provide you with the database backup

If your store was not modified, you can export layout from the demo store

Thanks I see them in the cscart_bm_ tables. The store was heavily modified.

I noticed when I was trying to import layouts through admin, that each time I did in the pull out menu on the right the previous layouts were being saved. However the layouts that were deleted are not there. If the site is keeping copies, why wouldn't my layouts be saved there? Did I miss something? This is on our dev server which we don't backup as often. I can't believe there wasn't even a confirmation before these got deleted without a copy being saved.

If the site is keeping copies, why wouldn't my layouts be saved there? Did I miss something?

It is not clear what do you mean. If the layouts are deleted during import, no any copy is saved