Individual Product Option - Bug?

I cannot add an individual option to a product - it always appears as a global option (without the designation "(Individual)" in the list). I've tried many ways, but it doesn't work. Maybe it's a bug?
I tested it on the latest version of cs-cart.
On the screenshot I marked what I meant by it. The option with the designation "(indidual)" appears only with options migrated from the old version of cs-cart using SQL queries.

Hello,

In newest release of CS-Cart (since 4.10 version), options are deprecated, and most of their functionalities have been moved to features.
All options are now global, with exception of those assigned to products before update.
There is no way to create individual options for products, without modifying database.

Best regards,
Robert

Is there anyway now in an individual product to override an option's variation without affecting the global option for all products?

I have a set of global colours and variations and wish to have the ability to edit the variations for each individual product - Something like CSS parent-child setup.

Thanks.

Not 100% sure but there used to be a link in early version to assign the global option as "linked" so any changes made to it affected all the options assigned globally.

Im guessing in the new version you should be looking for similar, Ill look later when i am out of the airport

Not 100% sure but there used to be a link in early version to assign the global option as "linked" so any changes made to it affected all the options assigned globally.

Im guessing in the new version you should be looking for similar, Ill look later when i am out of the airport

This feature has been removed

Thanks e-Com, but how do we now deal with the scenarios where a global option can be used on various products and edited local to each product as needed?

I assume the only way is now setting up global products for individual products?!

I think there’s a little confusion of terms here.

Option combinations are deprecated and scheduled for eventual removal because product variations do their job better. That job is to track inventory of similar products and let customers select the desired properties (such as color and size) on the product page.

Options themselves aren’t deprecated. They still serve as a way to increase/decrease a product’s price and/or weight, or to customize the product without affecting available quantity. “Extended warranty”, “Custom engraving”, and “Upload your business card template” are good examples of options.

There are two kinds of options:

• Product-specific options created on the product editing page.
    A product-specific option doesn’t affect other products and can’t be copied to them.
  • Global options created in the “Products > Options” menu.
    A global option can be added to product either as a product-specific option, or “as a link” (in that case, changing the option for one product will affect other products as well).
Starting with 4.10.x, we have made “global options added as links” the default scenario. Now whatever option you create on the product editing page is global, and can be applied to other products later as well, if you choose so. When you add an existing option to a product, it is now always applied as a link.

Product-specific options still exist, but can’t be created via the interface. You’ll see (Individual) next to them on the product editing page.

Thank you ikoshkin.

This seems to be less logical than expected. It was much better before where we could override/edit a global option for a specific product on the product's details page without affecting the global option for other product - very much like CSS and HTML.

Please tell me the best way to approach the following scenario:

I have 20 colours which I want to set up as an option for my products, but not all products come with all the colours and price modifiers.

In previous versions I could to this using global options.

Am I right in assuming that now I have to define colour option for each individual product? You can imagine how time consuming this would be where there is no option to clone options (if that makes sense).

I appreciate your help.

I have 20 colours which I want to set up as an option for my products, but not all products come with all the colours and price modifiers.

Thank you for explaining your use case. Personally, I would suggest using product features and product variations for an inseparable trait of a product, such as Color or Size of a T-shirt. You'd be able to:
  • Let customers select the desired product, just like with options (and even better).
  • Set price and weight independently for each variation.
  • Generate variations with the right combinations of feature values automatically.
  • Use filters with variations.
  • Have an easier time importing products and updating stock.
If variations don't suit you for some reason, we'd like to hear more about what kind of products you sell, and why you need options instead of features.

P.S. If you absolutely need options (although we highly recommend looking into variations first), then allowed and forbidden combinations should help. They are set on the product level.

Thank you ikoshkin, your help is much appreciated.

The products are ear plugs, but not all colours are available for all ear plugs. The idea was to have a global option Colour and its variations would have pictures with price modifiers. We'd then go to each product and add Colours as an option, then delete the colours that were not available in the variation without affecting the global option.

I'll have to see how this works with features and report back here.

Really kind of you to be here :-)

Hi,

I tried features, but unfortunately couldn't work out the best way to do what I needed without Options.

Each ear plug has a set of options that need to be selected sequentially (colour, pattern, effect). Each option has variations and within each variation, we have images and price modifiers. Patterns and effects are global, no problem. But for colours, we now have to have options per product as some product don't have all the colours.

What I'm after should be the most basic facility within CS-Cart and I'm a bit disappointed that such important facility is being deprecated - it's so logical.

Could you elaborate why colour, pattern, and effect can’t be features in your scenario? See T-shirt variations at our demo for the reference.

Every variation is a separate product (for example, “green ear plug with pattern X and effect Y”, with its own price, quantity, and images). You create all colours once (in the feature), but you don’t have to create every a product with every colour.

With options we could create thumbnails/images for each variation and add price modifier without having to change the main product image. Customers can choose an option from a dropdown menu and below it, the colour variations are displayed. The main product image still remains the same.

The Admin side is also a lot less cluttered and logical.

I might be missing something here.

Thanks for your help.

With options we could create thumbnails/images for each variation and add price modifier without having to change the main product image. Customers can choose an option from a dropdown menu and below it, the colour variations are displayed. The main product image still remains the same.

The Admin side is also a lot less cluttered and logical.

I might be missing something here.

Thanks for your help.

Think of all your product options/variants as being individual products, but they are child of the parent product. You can decide to have all images uploaded for every colour and size combination if you so choose.

Maybe a link to your product page would help us understand IF WE are missing something .

you may have seen this but https://docs.cs-cart.com/latest/user_guide/manage_products/products/product_variations.html

To be honest it's so messy setting up so many products as variations when you can have one with options instead:

Compare product 1:

http://londonearlab.com/demo/all-products/noise/zzz/

with Product 2: http://londonearlab.com/demo/all-products/sport/splash

Logically, you should be able to define a global option for colours and then override for individual product as and when necessary.

I'm not sure why CS-Cart developers decided to drop this option.

i'm try variation. and it believes and well

thanks!

To be honest it's so messy setting up so many products as variations when you can have one with options instead:

Compare product 1:

http://londonearlab.com/demo/all-products/noise/zzz/

with Product 2: http://londonearlab.com/demo/all-products/sport/splash

Logically, you should be able to define a global option for colours and then override for individual product as and when necessary.

I'm not sure why CS-Cart developers decided to drop this option.

Very good! I have successfully fixed your issue.

Instructions for you:

1) Product -> Feature -> add feature name Color :

Purpose : "Variations as one product"

Feature style : Images

Filter type : Color

-> Enter the required color variations

-> Save button.

2) Page Admin -> Extensions -> Product Variations addon -> check 2 line "Allow own images for child variations" and "Change default variation when it runs out of stock" ( not check line "Allow own feature values for child variations").

3) After creating a product, choose a value Color (eg: white) at Tab Feature-> Save button.

-> Choose tab Variations -> Add Variations -> choose tab create new product -> choose color you need -> Add variations button.

With each variation : choose Edit -> Drag and drop the default image you want -> Save.

Hope this guide helped you! :grin: :grin: :grin:

P/S : However, Individual Product Option is still needed to manage the Size of T-shirt when choosing to add to the cart.
Hopefully the CS-cart will reopen Individual Product Option in an upcoming update.

P/S : However, Individual Product Option is still needed to manage the Size of T-shirt when choosing to add to the cart.
Hopefully the CS-cart will reopen Individual Product Option in an upcoming update.

Not sure what you mean. There's still an Options tab on the products.detail page. You can set individual options and modifiers there.

Not sure what you mean. There's still an Options tab on the products.detail page. You can set individual options and modifiers there.

Any optional variation is added, it becomes a Global option => difficult to manage with too many global options.