Updating Mysql Or Changing To Mariadb On Existing Installation

I am currently running a CS-Cart installation on an older dedicated server with DB performance issues (Out of Memory kill for MySQL).
My hosting company recommends upgrading MySQL from 5.5.61-ccl to 5.7 or Maria 10.2 for better performance and migrating to a server with more ram since I am maxed at 4 GB currently.
What issues might I run into upgrading MySQL to a newer version or to MariaDB?
Current specs:
- CS-Cart v 4.8.2.SP2
- server hardware: older 4-core Xeon, 4 GB ram (max), 1TB SSD
- Server software: Apache 2.4.24, PHP 7.1.24, MySQL 5.5.61-ccl
Hosting company recommends new server which I just rented and will migrate to...
- Server hardware: Xeon E3-1270 v6, 32 GB ram, 1 TB SSD
- I also plan on switching to PHP 7.2 in the coming weeks.

Hosting company recommends new server which I just rented and will migrate to...
- Server hardware: Xeon E3-1270 v6, 32 GB ram, 1 TB SSD
- I also plan on switching to PHP 7.2 in the coming weeks.

I have similar specs and CS-Cart runs out of the box on 5.7, which is compatible with MDB 10.3. 10.2 is compatible with 5.5-5.6.

Thank you. CS-Cart is compatible with these versions, but an upgrade does present possible issues.

I want to know what issues could be encountered because there are potential incompatibilities between the versions

MySQL has a tool called mysql_upgrade that resolves some but not all incompatibilities. But there may be CS-Cart specific issues with this or with MariaDB.

So, I am looking to see if someone has done a similar upgrade and what the problems might have been.

What I am trying to say is that you will not encounter any problems upgrading to MariaDB 10.2. While upgrading to 5.7 and 10.3, you may have problems, say, with timestamps and spatial index.

I've just run into this issue also where I get a message at top of page when logged into the server:

MySQL 5.6 will reach EOL soon. Upgrade Now

I can choose between:

MySQL 5.7

MySQL 8.0

or

MariaDB 10.0

10.1, 10.2 or 10.3

All I have to do is choose and click continue.

Does anything need to be changed in cscart files such as in the config.local.php or elsewhere?

I'm on V4.9.3.SP1

Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm going to guess that you will have most problem with 3rd party addons. Ensure you have your hosting configure either mySQL or MariaDB to NOT have strict-mode enabled. Otherwise INSERT/REPLACE with missing fields may generrate a "CAN'T BE NULL" error. That's about all the insight I have! :-)

Thanks EZ.