...can easily handle over 10,000 products.

[QUOTE]In you product features it reads "Optimized programming code makes it possible to build stores that can easily handle over 10,000 products.[/QUOTE]

How many over 10,000? Can it do 35,000 products?

What about the max number of categories? Is there an upper limit?

If so what is it and why? Is it something to do with CS-Cart’s code or PHP or MySQL?

Thanks

Depends solely on your hosting and traffic.

The better the host the better chances of the site functioning correctly.

The more traffic then the more load on the server. It’s been said CS-Cart is a resources hog. I don’t host so cant’ say it personally but wouldnt’ be surprised

well,

we run it on a mac mini (intel core duo) with 2gb of ram …

with 20k products and nearly 50k categories …

works fine.

See how you go. If it doesn’t run / has problems then seek out dedicated server. If you start ramping up large numbers of traffic you really should be using a dedicated managed box, potentially 2 servers one for database and one for the site… potentially a third for images and a backup raid for each one so if one bit goes down its easy to get back up.

All depends how much a bit of down time or a slow site will be worth to you. If its worth a decent investment in hosting then you really should be slacking on it :wink:

Personally if you are using a mac mini and want to run it over your home local pipe you are going to get in bad shape pretty quickly due to security issues, local traffic, and general restrictions in place by your pipe provider. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE]Personally if you are using a mac mini and want to run it over your home local pipe you are going to get in bad shape pretty quickly due to security issues, local traffic, and general restrictions in place by your pipe provider. [/QUOTE]

Why do you assume that he is running his server from his home. There are a number of hosting providers who offer Mac-based web hosting and Co-Lo services and many more who offer Co-Lo services for Macs.

Bob

I didn’t assume, I said “if” that is what he is doing :wink:

Ahhh but I do see that I have got 2 users mixed up as one. Lol :wink: Didn’t realise it was 2 seperate users because of the flow of conversation :slight_smile: lol As such you can likely ignore most of my post. :slight_smile:

[quote name=‘chrengelke’]well,

we run it on a mac mini (intel core duo) with 2gb of ram …

with 20k products and nearly 50k categories …

works fine.[/QUOTE]

I have 35,000 products that are spread across 130,000 categories. The number of categories is the issue, I can’t use the admin at all. The main category management will not load and anywhere here is a category select box (category new/edit, product new/edit) just chokes. As 130,000 categories is far far too many for a select box.

The category admin pages are not written with this many categories in mind. There is other ways of writing these pages, that would make it workable. Example: Why load all the categories if your just going to edit a product title?