• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Local And State Taxes In Usa - New Supreme Court Ruling Rate Topic   - - - - -

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:40 PM #1

Hopefully the new Supreme Court ruling that says merchants need to charge state and local sales taxes to customers in all states, not just the ones where they have a physical presence, will be limited to larger merchants. If not, we're going to need a lot of help from CS-Cart. I see that WooCommerce already has a plugin for this:

https://woocommerce....ons-and-filing/

What are your thoughts?

• extrarius
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:04 PM #2

It's doubtful that it will be limited to only large merchants given that the decision is left to the State to make and South Dakota is already chomping at the bit. We're not taking any chances and are implementing TaxJar this month to avoid any shenanigans.

HardwareAndTools.com

The Internet's Largest Hardware Store

• bikes
  • Trial users
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:12 AM #3

Extrarius - Do you mind if I ask, who implemented/developed TaxJar into your Multi-Vendor store? As if my understanding is correct, with the current TaxJar add-on the api only allows for one vendor to claim nexus in each state. Or have you made it a requirement for ALL your vendors to sign up for a TaxJar account?

Thanks

• eComLabs
  • CS-Cart Expert
  • Authorized Reseller
  • 18493 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:26 PM #4

Please note that there is addon for TaxJar integration on the marketplace

https://marketplace....nce/taxjar.html

GET A FREE QUOTE | CS-Cart Add-ons | CS-Cart Licenses | CS-Cart Development | CS-Cart Design | Server Configuration | UniTheme and YOUPI
CS-Cart                USD 345     Multi-Vendor              USD 1250    CS-Cart RU                         24500 руб.
CS-Cart Ultimate  USD 775     CS-Cart + YOUPI      USD 545      CS-Cart RU + UniTheme    36000 руб.

• bikes
  • Trial users
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:56 PM #5

Yes - I am aware of this. This add-on is limited with its functionalities and as a result, nexus can only be established for one vendor in one state (not good if you have 100 vendors in a state)

Secondly, both TaxJar and Simtech have advised that Vendors sign up for a TaxJar account in order to be fully compliant with new tax legislation. The trouble being, as a multi vendor store owner, it is important to make the on boarding process as friction-less as possible. Advising vendors that they MUST sign-up for a TaxJar account in order to use your platform would absolutely cripple vendor sign up conversions

Cheers

• JackConnick
  • Trial users
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:51 PM #6

I read through the TaxJar information. Note that most states that have even implemented this have a high threshold for needing to comply like $100,00 or more, or 200 transactions in the last 12 months. It varies NY is $500,000, but Penn. is $10,000. For my business I don't see an issue, except in maybe a couple of our highest volume states and hopefully they will implement an even larger threshold.

Jack

• bikes
  • Trial users
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:30 PM #7

Hey Jack,

I took a look at your site and it looks like you are selling lots of high ticket items on there, is your site composed of multiple vendors? Or are you the sole vendor?

I only ask this as my platform will be also offering v.high ticket items (in a different industry), and with multiple vendors selling into those States, the $10,000 threshold could be elapsed in just a couple of sales... then compliance will become an issue...

• JackConnick
  • Trial users
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:54 PM #8

No, we are the sole vendor. The Tax Jar system looks good and can be made to be pretty automatic it looks like.

• bikes
  • Trial users
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:01 PM #9

Ah ok, cheers Jack. I wish that was the case - I have been in discussions with TaxJar, Simtech (who build the TaxJar addon) and also CS Cart sales... No body wants to acknowledge that there is a swing in legislation in the States regarding sales tax compliance and none of the above can offer a solution. Very disappointing

• extrarius
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:44 AM #10

Extrarius - Do you mind if I ask, who implemented/developed TaxJar into your Multi-Vendor store? As if my understanding is correct, with the current TaxJar add-on the api only allows for one vendor to claim nexus in each state. Or have you made it a requirement for ALL your vendors to sign up for a TaxJar account?

Thanks

Hi bikes, sorry for the extremely late reply, my work schedule is very packed. We don't use the multi-vendor edition of CS-Cart so I can't answer your question in that regard. The only thing I can provide details on is that we purchased the addon from SimTech but then made several heavy after market modifications to it because the addon by default does not transmit completed orders to TaxJar, it only provides tax calculations. I haven't had a chance to provide feature patches back to SimTech yet to have this addressed.

HardwareAndTools.com

The Internet's Largest Hardware Store

• bikes
  • Trial users
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:44 PM #11

Thanks Extrarius,

Was really hoping to find a solution for Multi-vendor, especially given the new marketplace facilitator laws... doesn't look like I'll be finding one any time soon... 

Cheers

• 12ka4
  • Advanced Member
  • Trial users
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:44 PM #12

Thanks Extrarius,

Was really hoping to find a solution for Multi-vendor, especially given the new marketplace facilitator laws... doesn't look like I'll be finding one any time soon... 

Cheers

I don't quite understand the issue, I have TaxJar add-on and I am only using it to provide sales tax calculations for the vendors..there is no field for Nexus for either admin or vendor, are you saying the calculations will be allowed for one vendor per state and if I have a second vendor in the same state, the calculations won't be returned by TaxJar?