• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Database backup files too accessible? Rate Topic   - - - - -

• fwhorch
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:57 AM #1

I just noticed that the database backup puts the data dump file in a directory accessible to the web server. Isn't this a really bad idea?

What's the recommended backup strategy, keeping in mind security considerations?

Fred
Fred Wilson Horch, Founder

F.W. Horch Sustainable Goods & Supplies
56 Maine Street
Brunswick, ME 04011

(207) 729-4050
www.FWHorch.com ~ "Practically, saving the planet."

1.3.5-SP1 (site under development)

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:26 AM #2

Move it outside of the www root,
Download the backup,
Burning two copies, sending a copy to your grandmother then deleting the backup on the server.

Regardless of it being accessible to the "web server" anyone willing enough to hack the server will have access to everything anyway.
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:26 AM #3

sending a copy to your grandmother

Error: User No Longer Exists.

;)

Is there a way to tell Cs-Cart to automatically backup to a directory outside of the www root? Or do i have to do this manually each time?

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:15 AM #4

Error: User No Longer Exists.

;)

Is there a way to tell Cs-Cart to automatically backup to a directory outside of the www root? Or do i have to do this manually each time?

Send it to anyone that's computer illiterate and ask them to put it in a safe place... They'll never know how to open it and will proberly keep it really safe.

One way to make sure you've always got a backup :D
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.