Server Down Alert

I have the odd problem with server, the host I am with has been very good though tonight i happened to browse a site and noticed it was down, Then the whole dedicated server was down. Quite a pain, tho the host sorted after i got in touch.

This led me to thinking, about how long it had been down, and was it only for me checking a site while out having dinner, I wouldnt have known anything.

I got in touch with host the said it seemed down from their end, and SHOULD they reboot, YES I replied

So my question is, does anyone have any alert system etc, I did use a 3rd party a while back but found alerts too many to cope with. Any recommends ?

Cheers

John

Fix what's causing the server to go down and you won't have to worry about notifications.

I think WHM/cPanel sends me an email if a service is down.?

For example, please check

https://www.downnotifier.com/

Fix what's causing the server to go down and you won't have to worry about notifications.

I think WHM/cPanel sends me an email if a service is down.?

It may not be something in the user's control. I.e. a cPanel update can wreck havoc on a site. Note that if the server is down, there is no WHM/Cpanel to check anything.

There are a ton of monitors. Suggest something simple and basic but be sure to read the T&C's and the Privacy Policy before you enter your domain name into any web form.

If you have a server on a different hosting site, you can always write a small shell script that will do a wget of your site and if it comes back with any status other than 200, send you an email.

It may not be something in the user's control. I.e. a cPanel update can wreck havoc on a site. Note that if the server is down, there is no WHM/Cpanel to check anything.

There are a ton of monitors. Suggest something simple and basic but be sure to read the T&C's and the Privacy Policy before you enter your domain name into any web form.

If you have a server on a different hosting site, you can always write a small shell script that will do a wget of your site and if it comes back with any status other than 200, send you an email.

Pingdom is a good choice for tools.