General Questions About Server Management

Hi, there. I created this topic as a meeting place for experts and customers to discuss issues of server administration. You ask questions and experts will answer them.

Well, I should start from myself. I am a DevOps engineer with 9+ years experience in Linux. I've worked with CS-Cart since 2010: from 2013 to 2015 in the CS-Cart team, Twigmo and Merchium. Last year I help to launch a highload projects on CS-Cart and Multi-Vendor platforms with Simtech Development Ltd. company.

We provide store owners to handle more users and sales transactions, migrate their store from one host to another with zero downtime and build reliable, fast and secure services for any needs.

So, I'm glad to help you to solve your problems. Feel free to ask me any questions you have in this topic.

Can you help in this regrard ?

http://forum.cs-cart.com/topic/46597-cdn-making-301-redirects-for-images-when-website-moved-to-https/

I've posted message on the topic. I suggest you continue discuss your problem in there.

i enquired with simtech about the advertising banner on your site that offered for you to check out my server for speed and advise in required changes to get the best performance...www.hivis.co.uk

after I paid the 100 plus dollars I was told you dont work with servers that include cpanel or other control panels and It was recommeneded that I would have to move to your servers for you to apply any changes.

I wish I had known that at the start before I paid my 100 plus dollars.

How to install and secure? Example i want to buy digitalocean server but i dont know anything guard for virus attack. And how can costumize for speed.

I wish I had known that at the start before I paid my 100 plus dollars.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm totally agree that information about condition are very necessary before any work would be paid. I apologize for misunderstanding from our side and we'll try not to repeat this mistake once again. However, we're not working with control panels such as cPanel, ISPManager, Plesk and so forth for several reasons:

- Control panels compiles their own versions of software, often without security patches from software's vendors such as Microsoft, RedHat etc.. Software versions are either terribly old. We're worried about security and do not want to maintain possible vulnerable systems and couldn't guarantee our clients, that all will be fine.

- Configuration and log files in non-standard locations. Control panels also totally ignore all the conventions of the host operating system and does it's own thing, that makes diagnostics and support incredibly difficult.

- Custom and complex configurations aren't possible because it wan't factored into the design of control panels. Sometimes we couldn't do anything because we know that control panel will override what we have done. Absolutely impossible to use software configuration management tools like Ansible, Puppet, Chef etc. on the same reason.

Please don't get me wrong. These products does a amazing job at making complex tasks much easier for people that aren't interested in administration skills. Of course they might be useful, but unreliable on production environments.

How to install and secure? Example i want to buy digitalocean server but i dont know anything guard for virus attack. And how can costumize for speed.

Thanks for your questions. Unfortunately, not easy to represent step-by-step instruction of server settings. It depends on variety of components such as operating systems, hardware, software versions etc. Could you tell about your questions in more specific?

Please have a look at the article on official CS-Cart documentation which help you to set up your store from scratch on Ubuntu by yourself. However, these actions are not enough to set up your server properly and fully-protected from attacks. In my opinion, these kind of things should be done by professionals.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm totally agree that information about condition are very necessary before any work would be paid. I apologize for misunderstanding from our side and we'll try not to repeat this mistake once again. However, we're not working with control panels such as cPanel, ISPManager, Plesk and so forth for several reasons:

- Control panels compiles their own versions of software, often without security patches from software's vendors such as Microsoft, RedHat etc.. Software versions are either terribly old. We're worried about security and do not want to maintain possible vulnerable systems and couldn't guarantee our clients, that all will be fine.

- Configuration and log files in non-standard locations. Control panels also totally ignore all the conventions of the host operating system and does it's own thing, that makes diagnostics and support incredibly difficult.

- Custom and complex configurations aren't possible because it wan't factored into the design of control panels. Sometimes we couldn't do anything because we know that control panel will override what we have done. Absolutely impossible to use software configuration management tools like Ansible, Puppet, Chef etc. on the same reason.

Please don't get me wrong. These products does a amazing job at making complex tasks much easier for people that aren't interested in administration skills. Of course they might be useful, but unreliable on production environments.

OK, on reflection I see in one of the emails from your comapny that says you dont work with the cpanel etc, so my post above was inacurate, I should have seen it and didnt. I apologise

However, we're not working with control panels such as cPanel, ISPManager, Plesk and so forth for several reasons:

I'm sorry, but I think most (or any?) of the web hosting providers use some UI panels for their customers. With which "platforms" of servers and OS/control panels are you working?

James

I'm sorry, but I think most (or any?) of the web hosting providers use some UI panels for their customers. With which "platforms" of servers and OS/control panels are you working?

James

It depends on features of the UI panel. Of course, most providers have a personal area for billing, notification settings and basic functions for managing your server (power on, power off, reboot, VNC/KVM access and so forth). However, in generally, it doesn't influence on functionality of operating system as it happens when you use cPanel, Plesk and other similar solutions.

Our team prefer work with Linux CentOS/Fedora/RHEL 6.x and 7.x. (we spend a lot of resources for automation RPM-based systems), but we we are not against other distributions (such as Debian or Ubuntu) on production environments.

we're currently running cs-cart on a VPS running apache with nginx as reverse proxy. I think I can easily switch to pure nginx in the Plesk panel, however our host won't help with the rewrite rules. I know there are articles out there but it seems to apply for new installs and using SSH. Any help would be appreciated :)

we're currently running cs-cart on a VPS running apache with nginx as reverse proxy. I think I can easily switch to pure nginx in the Plesk panel, however our host won't help with the rewrite rules. I know there are articles out there but it seems to apply for new installs and using SSH. Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi, what is the reason you want switch to pure nginx?

Do you want to use PHP-FPM over FastCGI or just rewrite .htaccess rules in nginx terms?

Do you want to use PHP-FPM over FastCGI or just rewrite .htaccess rules in nginx terms?

yes use PHP-FPM over FastCGI

A few questions and a critique on that what you said Gleb.

What do are actually saying here:

Is it that you regard Cpanel as rubbish for any production environment and any UI control panel out there ?

If so what yet fool proof easy way of doing is there to manage your and and I mean yours Gleb prefered Linux server if you lack some knowledge and or experience with managing it from the command line.

I know that CentOS has for instance it's own control panel have you tried that one and if so what is your view on it.

Secondly the main issue with Linux distributions is that one time this works another time it does not, Windows is much more consistent in that regard and that is why I think I am using Cpanel with all it's imperfections however I am willing to be openminded for a better solution.

As long as it the manual does not keep changing from one time to another as happens with Linux distributions in general. What works in versio 6.8 might now work in 7.0 in case of CentOS for instance.

By the way I see very often that Russion CS Cart theme and or addon developers use Ubuntu and the tutorials I see in the CS Cart documentation regarding how to install CS Cart on a VPS usually involves using the command line while operating on a Ubuntu VPS. Is there a special reason why ?

If so what yet fool proof easy way of doing is there to manage your and and I mean yours Gleb prefered Linux server if you lack some knowledge and or experience with managing it from the command line.

I know that CentOS has for instance it's own control panel have you tried that one and if so what is your view on it.

Secondly the main issue with Linux distributions is that one time this works another time it does not, Windows is much more consistent in that regard and that is why I think I am using Cpanel with all it's imperfections however I am willing to be openminded for a better solution.

As long as it the manual does not keep changing from one time to another as happens with Linux distributions in general. What works in versio 6.8 might now work in 7.0 in case of CentOS for instance.

We do use CENTOS with cPanel many years on our servers and never had any problem or never noticed any disadvantage which would be so critical to change our enviroment to other OS. Now all servers are running with:

CENTOS 6.8 x86_64, Apache/2.4.23 (cPanel), PHP 5.6.28 or 7

The improvements of the newest OS and php are very noticeable and much better like in the past.

We do use CENTOS with cPanel many years on our servers and never had any problem or never noticed any disadvantage which would be so critical to change our enviroment to other OS. Now all servers are running with:

CENTOS 6.8 x86_64, Apache/2.4.23 (cPanel), PHP 5.6.28 or 7

The improvements of the newest OS and php are very noticeable and much better like in the past.

Did you guys also implement the Engintron Nginx for Cpanel or did you opt for another version of Nginx ?

Is it that you regard Cpanel as rubbish for any production environment and any UI control panel out there ?

Thank you for your answer. In my opinion control panel is not a good choice for production.

If somebody really don't know how to do something important, maybe he/she should just ask someone, who really knows. Server management is very important part of selling process because it influences on performance, security and as a consequence, impact on income.

I've got an experience with cPanel/WHM, Plesk, ISPManager, DirectAdmin, VestaCP, Webmin and many others similar products. All of them have the same problems.

I don't want to be rude, but it sounds like you don't have enough experience with Linux systems. We use CentOS 6.x and 7.x on our servers without any problems and disadvantages. It just works as expected.