• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Export to Quickbooks Rate Topic   - - - - -

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:07 AM #1

I am having a problem importing the .iif into Quickbooks. I get a warning:

The Tax field cannot be left blank, even for non-taxable customers and sales which have no taxable items, so non-taxable sales will be correct for this district.

then every transaction fails with this:

Error on Line 85: Can't record invalid transaction.

I only tax in the state of New York and I believe that I have set up the Chart of accounts properly, but I am not sure without some guidance. Same goes for any fields.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to set this up? Or is it a problem with the export_to_iff.tpl file?

Thanks

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:15 PM #2

I was able to set up quickbooks properly but I found the following bugs with cs-cart:

can only export a small set of data at a time (I had to export 15 days at a time, if I tried the whole month it produced a empty file. If I tried to load the whole database, 3 months, I got a memory allocation error)

The export_to_iff.tpl, and/or whatever else handles the export does not work properly with 1.3.5. The data prior to my update imports fine into quickbooks, the data after my update throws errors: account out of balance and Invalid transaction.

This needs to be fixed asap.

• Page
  • Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:12 PM #3

Thanks for making the effort to report back.
*** Trying to help and trying to learn ***
Running an upgraded v135sp3 to v2.0.12 on live store(05/02/10) but not really right after update by Dr SnoRocket

• arlen
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:18 AM #4

Have you reported this to CS-Cart? If you haven't ... please do in the Bug Tracker link at the upper left of the forum.

I tested out the export/import process with success back w/ 1.3.4 too, but haven't gotten to that w/ 1.3.5 yet. This is critical for me to have working before I'll move to CS-Cart for my live store.

I'll test it out and confirm if I have problems w/ this but I haven't gotten to the point of populating my product db or testing that end of the ordering process since upgrading. I'll try to push that up in my schedule so and address it w/ CS-Cart soon if you haven't.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:12 PM #5

I have tried to work with customer support to solve my issues and they had a problem because their using QB 6 and I have QB 7.

I have been struggling with this for months and now that its tax time my client is screaming again.

Can anybody provide a step by step guideline to setting up a test company in Quickbooks to accept the CS-Cart export and be able to generate reports for sale taxes etc....

Thanks

• arlen
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:55 PM #6

I can't answer your specific question and still haven't tested with larger quantities of data yet, but ... I've abandoned the idea of importing CS-Cart's exported iif file directly into quickbooks for other reasons.

From the QuickBooks Software Developers Kit FAQ (bold added by me)

Importing incorrect IIF files can lead to corruption of QuickBooks company files. Therefore, Intuit strongly discourages relying on IIF files for application integration. Intuit cannot support customers who have used IIF files created by third-party applications.

Intuit expects to drop IIF from future versions of QuickBooks. Any such change will be announced in advance on this FAQ page.

Intuit recommends that all integration between QuickBooks and third-party software applications be implemented using the QuickBooks Software Development Kit (QBSDK). Intuit will support QuickBooks for customers who use applications which utilize the QuickBooks SDK.

As I understand it, the problem is that the IIF import ignores QuickBooks internal "business rules" which means it can import incorrectly formed or un-validated data which can potentially screw up QuickBooks internal workings, creating errors in the database that can't be undone.

I have partly modified CS-Cart's Export to Quickbooks function to generate a .csv file and have opted to purchase an import utility that will bring that .csv file into QuickBooks the proper way. There are many options out there, most quite expensive, most with limits as to how many sites are supportable under the license, and most requiring custom integration services. I inquired about integration prices for CS-Cart and got quotes exceeding $1500 for a couple of them.

Instead, I chose to buy 01 Transaction Pro Import Wizard which is the least sophisticated but most flexible of the solutions I've found and is only $200. It has a command-line interface which you can configure so your windows shortcut always opens your specific .csv file from it's regular location and sets your default settings.

As I didn't get CS-Cart completely setup and configured they way I want it before my prime selling season (now) I've put my work on CS on hold for awhile. I haven't gotten to the point of a final CS-Cart generated CSV file, but was getting close. I have configured my current cart to generate a CSV file which I've tested pretty thoroughly, and believe I'll be happy (enough) with this solution.

BTW, they also have an exporter which I am considering implementing later to update my quantities & order statuses in CS-Cart after I've finished in Quickbooks, however it does not yet have a command line & they quoted me $700 to put one in place, so that's not happening soon.

Hope this helps. If you are interested, I'll provide my modded export function ... err, if I can remember which files I modified, it's been a few months. Like I said though, it was a work in progress, needs completing, and I've made so many other changes that may or may not impact it, it may not work for you.
1.3.5 SP4, and stickin' with it till 2.x is finally stable

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:45 AM #7

Hey Arlen, we have been using CS with Quickbooks 2008 for a little over a month so far and have seen no glitches or items being posted incorrect.

We did find one bug with what CS was exporting. For some reason when you would import the .iif file it would add all of the shipping choices to all of the orders on that import. So if I had 4 orders to import, 3 of them as ground and 1 as 2nd day air, each one of the orders were listing

"ground shipping, ground shipping, 2nd day air, ground shipping"

CS as since found the bug and corrected it for me.

As for any other problems, everything is posting correctly.

Also, the link you have given to Intuit's site no longer works. It says page can not be found.
Regards,
Jim

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:35 AM #8

Hi,
I have been using the writitonce.com application: shopping cart assistant. It can import invoices from any shopping cart to Quickbooks and other accounting software using a script they custom develop. It's 297.00 USD.
It can capture from email, browser and/or files.. It automatically generates a shipping file to dazzle (endicia) at the same time.
I need it because my options are line items in Quickbooks. They wrote a script that if I have SKU# in the option line, it creates the line item in Quickbooks, if not, it does not create a line item, ie text fields/boxes, uninventoried dropdown items. I have it with a different cart, but they will be making a script for me for cs-cart. Had program for several years. Could not have gotten through the holiday seasons without an automated process.
Bob

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:23 AM #9

We did find one flaw with the import in to Quickbooks. For some reason they do not import in the customers comments or special instructions. Since we print our daily orders from Quickbooks after we import them in, this makes it hard to make sure we take care of any special request.
Regards,
Jim

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:21 AM #10

We did find another huge bug with the cs-cart export function. After you import your file in to Quickbooks it will erase your "cost" within Quickbooks! This messes with reports, ordering and more. You have to put the cost back in to quickbooks every time you get done importing from CS. Not fun.
Regards,
Jim

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:11 AM #11

We have taken the advice of Pbannette on the following post up above and want to thank him for the suggestion!

They suggested the software from www.writeitonce.com so we downloaded it today and gave it a shot. While the program does take a little time to set up it works great so far. It also is working with Ebay and Amazon and I don't have to pay the high fees that t-hub wants for each shopping cart.

THANKS AGAIN BOB!

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:18 PM #12

Clips,
Glad Writeitonce may be a solution to your problem. Jose, at Wirteitonce, did my script. He seems to be very helpful. (Wondering if there is anyone else but Jose.)

My store is very small; I only work a couple of hours a night and weekends. But, even being small, I could not process the orders during peak times without an import into QuickBooks. I actually shut off my store about 10 days before Christmas a few years ago to catch up. I am actually able to extend the selling time due to the import software. I use the copy invoice, paste into Writeitonce method since I rarely have more than 5-20 orders a day. I know there are several other methods for larger volume carts.

This is what Writeitonce did for me which shows the flexibility. In my current cart (shoppingq) my options are the products. I can assign an SKU to the option. If an option had an SKU#, it is a line item (inventoried) in QuickBooks, if not then it was not added as a line item. So, products with a mix of several options, some with SKU# and some without, the script was able to distinguish them by looking for the "#" in the Option Description. I thought this was great and need the same if I ever use CS-CART 2.0.

I read all these posts and have some comments:
No software is everything to everyone...impossible. You should evaluate several software solutions and determine which works for you along with a cost analysis.
Most solutions, carts or add-ons may seem expensive, such as T-Hub. The cost is inconsequential compared to what you can save in the long run. If it helps you process orders more efficiently, allows you to have more orders, without additional help, and takes less time to process, then the initial investment is negligible. Unless there is some high ongoing maintenance fee, the cost is spread over years. I bought writeitonce in 2004 for about 300.00, a lot for me at the time, more than the cart cost. It allowed me to do many more orders and saved me much time than if I did not have it. Cost me so far less than $7.00 a month over 42 months...Peanuts.

It's the same for the cart, skins, mods, etc. Initial costs always seem high, but the cost is spread over time. You have to do a cost/benefit for a period of time to decide if something is worth it or not and not just the initial cost.

Bob

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:46 AM #13

Clips,
Glad Writeitonce may be a solution to your problem. Jose, at Wirteitonce, did my script. He seems to be very helpful. (Wondering if there is anyone else but Jose.)

Bob

We have ran in to a new snag with the Writeitonce software. Since CS fails to export the "description" we have found that many of our orders with items that have "add-ons" are now incorrect. The way Writeitonce gets around no description is it looks up my description from Quickbooks. The problem is if a customer can choose to add something to the item then we will not know it.

Here is an example:
- A customer orders a 6 deck shuffler (chh-2709xl) from newtsgames.com.
- They have the OPTION to order batteries or not.
- They can also add additional decks of cards at a discounted price.
Because of the way CS "exports" the order with ONLY an item number and not the description all I get is that the customer ordered the shuffler. I have NO IDEA whether the customer ordered any playing cards or wanted batteries.

So basically, while I thought we had worked around the Quickbooks bug, we really have not. Because CS only exports part of the actual order info we still have problems.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?
Regards,
Jim

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:10 AM #14

Hi, what I use with my current non-cs-cart and am setting up with CS-cart, is to add SKU#xxx next to my option description or some other code, IE |xxx. My options are my products. The "product" I have is not sold as is.
Write it once looks for the code SKU# in the description and any option with this code, gets a line item in Quickbooks. If no sku#xxx, then its not a line item, but is included the invoice under the product name. I have no other way to do it. I have the same sku in 140 products. Most carts won't allow the exact same sku# applied to many products so I can't use the combination method in cs-cart. The options are global options. My current non cs-cart does have this capability,
I don't use the export method. I only have a few orders a day and use the copy and past the invoice method.
This is my workaround on how to get options transferred to a QB sales receipt, with certain options as line items (inventored).
Don't know if I can help you further. Should take "off line". PM me.

Bob

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:53 PM #15

I didn't really want to take offline, because it seems that the fact that CS does NOT export all of the order information as it claims would or may be an issue to others.

Right now if you try to "export" the order information CS does NOT export the actual "description" of an item. This is where the "add-ons" that a customer may get is put. CS calls it "product options." So basically, anything you put in the "product options" will NOT export because CS did not include this in their export. CS only exports part of the order information instead of ALL of the order information.

We are using writeitonce.com as a workaround to the fact that the normal QB function does not import correctly. The problem is now we are trying to figure out how to get this important information for each one of the orders.

CS has offered to "customize" this for us and we may end up having to do this. The sad part is, if CS exported the whole order as they claimed on their site I would not have to worry about this.

Right now, I am trying to see if anyone has figured out a workaround to be able to get the "whole" order exported...including product description.

If you plan on using writeitonce for you CS you will probably need the same thing. It really depends on if you offer any "product options" or not.
Regards,
Jim

• pbannette
  • Members
  • 1036 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:09 PM #16

Thanks,
I'll have to check this out. Everthing has product options.
I never really looked at the export feature, because I was planning on using the copy and paste method. I don't have hundreds of orders at a time.
I copy and paste the invoice with the CC info into Write-it once in my current cart and was planning on doing the same with cs-cart.
If cs-cart is not exporting the entire order, then this is a critical limitation of the export and CS-CART should supply a fix for both existing versions and future versions. I did not realize this limitation existed.
Bob

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:32 PM #17

Here is the response from CS...

The full export means that you can for example export order, then delete it , then import it from the CSV file and it will be the same as the previous one.

In csv file all information is saved as object ids. For example, for the product options it looks like the following:

"{product_options: {499: ""2151"", 500: ""2156""}, discount: ""0.00""}"

It means that this product was bought with options whose ids are 499 and 500 and the option variant ids are 2151 and 2156.

As for the product name and description, they can be got by the product id.

So basically, CS does NOT intend for you to really "export" your orders to be able to use in the real world, they only intend for you to bring it from one version of CS to another.

Please understand, I know there is a use for exporting from one version to another. The problem is you really defeat the purpose of an export when you can not use it somewhere else.
Regards,
Jim

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:40 PM #18

I just read and caught this statement from CS support...

The full export means that you can for example export order, then delete it , then import it from the CSV file and it will be the same as the previous one.

Oh my goodness. This is hilarious. I'm just not for sure when I would need to just "delete" an order and then be able "import" it back in. I guess maybe if I was bored? Is there really a reason that people just "delete" an order to be able to just import it back in? Maybe I am doing something else wrong?

Sorry, but I am honestly trying to figure out how to use the currect "export" function that CS has. I know that only a few people must export to Quickbooks, but is there really no one that uses the CS "export order" function to be able to get orders for their accounting program?
Regards,
Jim

• Triplets
  • Members
  • 1179 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:43 PM #19

I believe cs-cart only provides rudimentary control for the export. This has caused 3rd part solutions to appear. One is T-Hub (http://www.atandra.com/Prod_THub.htm)

I can not remember the others off the top of my head, but if you search the forum you will find other 3rd party solutions that ptrovide better control of the export (quickbooks, ups, fedex, etc)

David

• clips
  • Aged Resident Loon
  • Members
  • 1650 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:44 PM #20

...3rd party solutions that ptrovide better control of the export (quickbooks, ups, fedex, etc)
David

Thanks for the suggestion.

We actually took the advise of many and did get a 3rd party solution to be able to get CS to communicate with our accounting. The problem we are having is trying to get CS to work with our 3rd party solution because it only exports partial information. Most of the 3rd party solutions seem to rely on the shopping cart having the capability of being able to export a complete order. We are working with our current 3rd party (writeitonce) to see if there is a way to get around this. I was just wondering how others get around the fact that CS does not export the whole order but instead leaves out the item description.
Regards,
Jim