How did you find us?

on our order forms on paper ( not online) we have a place that says how did you find (company name) at the end of the order form

99% of people fill it out

has anyone ever integrated anything like this on the cart after someone has placed an order?

if they select search engine then have a box that opens up as says each engine and key words

by adding that line we have targeted new keywords and places to advertise

just wanted to know if anyone had done something like this?

This is a great tool for marketing. I’d like to know as well. I always fill it out when i fill out forms.

[quote name=‘truem’]on our order forms on paper ( not online) we have a place that says how did you find (company name) at the end of the order form

99% of people fill it out

has anyone ever integrated anything like this on the cart after someone has placed an order?

if they select search engine then have a box that opens up as says each engine and key words

by adding that line we have targeted new keywords and places to advertise

just wanted to know if anyone had done something like this?[/QUOTE]

May be something like… a script/form to when the order is completed it pop-ups and there the customer enters the details and clicks send?

Thinking more

```php

```

should be able to do it…

do you have input to what the form fields you want… then I can try pouplating it…

Then we will have to find where to place the code in orders?.tpl?

I think it should be right before or after credit card payment

I think it should be after the order has been placed where it says print invoice

[quote name=‘truem’]I think it should be after the order has been placed where it says print invoice[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Don’t distract the customer before your get paid.

Bob

[quote name=‘truem’]I think it should be after the order has been placed where it says print invoice[/QUOTE]

Thinking more… here are some suggestions

1. create form “How did you find us” using form builder
  2. Add that as a link in the script
  3. Also, you can add this as a link in form statuses also… which ever mode you want add

Any more thoughts… I think this looks now an easy implentation… you still need help?

How can I implement this on the Print invoice page? By building a form it will need to email me the data. I would like the information be added to the order.

sorry i was dealing w a pay pal issue, now fixed

Which tpl do i need edit?

also how would i insert the form? like what code

sorry my coding skills are a -5

[quote name=‘truem’]99% of people fill it out[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never expected that request would get any where near that much response unless it was required to complete an order, and I’d NEVER require it to complete an order, that’s just folly and a good way to p*ss off your customer. It would be very useful info, though honestly a good stats package or service will tell you the page they came from and if they searched, what search term they used and much more (providing they have javascript enabled or aren’t actively blocking cookies).

If you want it on your checkout form, then it should be relatively simple.

1. Add a variable to the appropriate customer table in your database using PHPMyAdmin (probably called profile_“something”, I haven’t looked), then …
  2. Add a new text input field to the profile_fields.tpl file used by the checkout pages.

I asked how to do something like this awhile ago and no one responded, but it wasn’t hard to figure out once I got PPHMyAdmin running properly on my server (FYI, if you run in to troubles running PHPMyAdmin locally, try w/ your firewall shut off). Simply open the DB, find the appropriate table, and add … pretty straight forward.

Once the DB has a place store the variable, I’d then find the simplest input definition in my profile_fields.tpl that matched my needs, copy it, and substitute the new variable for the one it was defined for.

I’ve added several new variables for my product pages (additional descriptions, etc) and the input fields to provide the info on my admin pages in just this manner, I think it should be pretty straight forward. I’m not a hugely experienced programmer.

To be truly useful though you’d need to be able to run a report on it, and that’s beyond me.

We do something similar except that we place our additional fields into a separate “private” table to avoid any possible conflicts with future upgrades.

Bob

Ahhh … that makes tons of sense. I’ve been planning on moving my custom admin side code into a custom tpl file for ease of upgrade, it would make sense to work from a separate db table. More work to do, lol.

Custom TPLs are another great idea. I think that anything that helps to isolate what the developers have changed from what we have changed makes future upgrades more manageable.

Bob

could someone maybe please post a step by step to add this field after payment is made so that it can be added to the order details?

I agree that’s the right place to put it but I’ve not gotten to changing my confirmation page yet. When I get there (should be relatively soon), I’ll try to remember to post which files to mod. But just give it a try, It’s really not that hard.

Quick Summary:

1. Open PHPMyAdmin

(for me, because I’m working locally, that’s [url]http://localhost/phpmyadmin/[/url] … if you’re online you may have to ask your host how to access it. If you’re on a linux server, it should be there … may not be on a windows server, but they will have a similar utility.

2. Select your database from the list in the left menu pane.

At the bottom of the main window you will have an option to add a table. You can do it here as bob suggested, or you can add it to an existing table as I’ve done so far.

If you want to add it to an existing table (which for testing might make sense till you have a handle on how talbes work), select the table from the list on the left menu pane. This open the table up in your main window.

3. Just below the table info, about mid page, you’ll see an add ___ fields, with the default being “At End Of Table”. Click GO.

4. This will open a page where you can plug in your new variable. Just name it logically, but try to pick something you’re sure CS hasn’t used. Put the variable name in the “Field” field, and if you want a text box, select “text” for type. Click Save, which will take you back to the previous page where you’ll see your new variable has been added.

_______

Then …

Find the appropriate tpl file used for your confirmation page. Just a quick look it may be /orders_pages/order_details.tpl, but that could be used on another page too so you’ll have to look around.

My best suggestion here is just to steal another input box and mod it to populate your new variable … it will look “something” like this:

The hairy part will be to provide an input button … I’ve just been using existing input buttons so I can’t really give you details on how to do that. Like I said though, I’ll be getting to that page soon, and have some custom “feedback” I would like to have on that page, so I’ll post how when I get it figured out (if someone hasn’t beat me to it).

Hello,

I have a cart that automatically enters the referral url into the order. Don’t know how they do it. Not custom, part of standard functionality.

I find this very useful. I can download all the orders as an excel file and sort the referral url field. This tells me where the sales came from and what was purchased.

I also have a “where did you find” us drop down during checkout. Not required. I don’t think that this one non-required field right after putting the shipping information, would cause someone to stop an not proceed and complete the order.

I did find that many people put in, for example, Google, when in reality, according to the referral URL, placed in the order, they actually came from a shopping site that I advertise on. The links for the shopping site is what was picked up from Google initially, but the actual sale came from the shopping site.

This is also good information.

Bob