• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VOTE: Store Manager - Stay or Go? Rate Topic   - - - - -

Poll: What do you want done with the Store Manager? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you want done with the Store Manager?

1. Remove the Store Manager - Implement a Web-Based Upgrade Script (66 votes [67.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.35%

2. Keep the Store Manager, I need it! (11 votes [11.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.22%

3. Never used it / Cannot use it (Linux / Mac / ETC) (21 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• truem
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:50 PM #21

so 90.79% of cs cart users find store manager useless :?:
1.3.5 sp1

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:28 AM #22

so 90.79% of cs cart users find store manager useless :?:

...Yep (to be fair most people here would prefer NOT to use the store manager) The cannot / haven't answer is a bit ambiguous.
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:48 AM #23

Neither of these solutions is free but you can look at Guiify (www.guiffy.com) and UltraCompare (www.ultraedit.com). Both of these are 3-way merge tools that allow using an ancestor file as part of the comparison.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• arlen
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:21 AM #24

Neither of these solutions is free but ... Both of these are 3-way merge tools that allow using an ancestor file as part of the comparison.

Not free, but certainly reasonable, especially Ultraedit. Really good info Bob, thanks for the leads. Probably could have saved a bunch of people from having to wade thru my long-winded post if I'd known about these.

If you've tried either or both of 'em Bob, I'd love to hear your opinion of them.

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:52 AM #25

Arlen-

I looked at UltraCompare some time ago when I opted for BeyondCompare because UC just felt clumsy for some reason. But lots of people swear by UltraCompare.

We are moving more and more to Macs now so UltraCompare is out of the equation for us. Fortunately, OS X comes with a helpful (though nor great) tool called FileMerge which also handles ancestor files. But we plan on taking a look at Guiffy to see if it will make future upgrades less painful.

As I mentioned in the other thread, anything you do to isolate your changes from the developer's changes helps. Also, MikeFold posted an excellent suggestion for helping to track changes you have made:

http://forum.cs-cart...older#post21969

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

• arlen
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:51 AM #26

Big help Bob, thanks. I'll look at 'em both carefully.

I totally agree that isolating your work from the developer's work will make upgrades easier. I checked out Mike's post ... interesting approach. I've got a 14 page changelog of every change I made up to my upgrade to 1.3.5 ... I've been a little lazy about keeping it current lately though, better get back on the stick.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:12 AM #27

</offtopic>
Lets try to keep this thread on it's rails ;)
I've moved on from CS-Cart to WooC******** - If you need anything I can be of little help.

• jobosales
  • Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:57 AM #28

Sorry, Jesse.

However, this does demonstrate that there are great tools available and that CS-Cart need not reinvent the wheel with the sub-standard (by CS-Cart standards, no less) abomination called Store Manager.

Bob
CS-Cart 2.0.14 (testing)

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:21 AM #29

Sorry, Jesse.

However, this does demonstrate that there are great tools available and that CS-Cart need not reinvent the wheel with the sub-standard (by CS-Cart standards, no less) abomination called Store Manager.

Bob

No need to be sorry mate, just pointing out that we're trying to get CS-Cart to ditch the store manager in favour of an online upgrade script. Would make things easier if we didn't need a library of third-party tools to get the work done in the first place. (Not to mention the $$$ required to buy additional software licenses)

• arlen
  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:10 PM #30

</offtopic>

lol, done!